Has anyone heard of or used evening primrose oil to induce labor?

Someone told me that if you take this( it comes in gel cap form), it will make you go into labor. If so how does it work, how do you use it correctly and what are the side effects?

CamLivysMomma

Asked by CamLivysMomma at 3:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no side effects. (aside from a little leaking in your panties- use a liner)

insert 2-3 gelcaps vaginally, and get as close to your cervix as possible, nightly. you can do this as often as you like, but it'll be more effective when it can stay inside of you and be effective.

it WILL NOT INDUCE LABOR. it WILL help ripen the cervix and prepare for labor though. if you're right at the end, i would definitely use it. it is highly effective. used it with 2 of my 3...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• well it helps soften the cervics..i took it starting st 32 weeks with both kids.. and i ended up going at 36 with both..but results vary..lol..my mid wives tell us to take it and some other softener combined..it works pretty good.if you want i can try and find the other thing..i have the list somewhere...its all otc i think..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• There are two methods of this being used. One is to start ingesting pills daily and the other is to stick anywhere from 4-6 of them up into your vagina. With my son my doctor advised me to use the latter method the night before my induction. It doesn't make you go into labor, but it supposedly helps soften the cervix. For me it did absolutely nothing, but melt in me and leak oil out onto my undies and bedding all night.

I always chuckle about it now saying it's the one and only time I can honestly say it smelled like roses down there.

I think it's a waste of money, time and sheets.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Like the PP said, it won't induce labor, but it can help prepare your cervix..
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I believe you should let your body decide when to go into labor and not interfere./ The process is complicated and not really under our control...and shouldn't be our decision. I really don't know why anyone wants to induce? Yoir Doctor would if he thought it was crucial and necessary.
    Don't mess with it,okay?It could be dangerous, harmful to your baby. What if the lungs are not yet mature? Boy, I wonder WHY you'd want to induce.
    Anonymous