16 month old tantrums!

We just got back from vacation and tyce had a HORRIBLE time, so I thought coming home would make everything better again. WRONG! He is breakin 5 new teeth, but they havent seemed to bother him previously. He has been throwing these major scream tantrums, nothing satisfies him at all, there is NO soothing him. He just sits and screams? Help!! Any advice????

tycecoopersmom

Asked by tycecoopersmom at 4:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• poor lil guy! just bear (bare?) with it if you can! toddlers cant exactly sit down and explain what is wrong so all they can do is throw fits, and the more emotional they get, the harder it can be to control! have you given him anything for the teething? cold teething rings? teethig biscuits? medicine? maybe try taking him for a walk or to the park? if you think he's just plain old cranky, try a time out. and it isnt a bad thing! time outs arent punishment. when my son freaked out at a store once, we left the store, he cooled down and was fine soon afterwards. of course I didnt buy everything I needed lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• if his teeth ARE bothering him, give him some ibuprofen (or whatever you prefer- it is an anti inflammatory)... if that doesn't help.

IGNORE it. its easier said than done. make sure he is where he can not hurt himself, has had the things he needs (diaper change, water, snuggle baby, etc) and just ignore it. this too shall pass. all of mine went through a similar stage. it stinks! a lot of the time it is cause by the lack of their communication skills, and they get frustrated at not being able to get you to understand something.

hang in there- we've all been there. just take a deep breath and repeat "this too shall pass" lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• For teething, alternating motrin and tylenol can really help. Check with the pedi for the correct dose for your child.
    You can give him a frozen french fry to gnaw on which he can really get in his mouth as opposed to a regular teether.

As far as the tantrums go, just ignore him. It's not easy to do but when he sees that they get no reaction from you, he'll stop. Trust me. If I can handle two tantruming at the same time, you can handle it with one.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I don't even know what to advice to give you, My son gets like this ALOT and we've learned so many things depending on his "mood" how to try to react.. you can actually give them motrin and tylenol at the same time every 6 hours if he does seem to have a fever, might want to see if he has an ear infection at all, that can make a child very upset.. but I understand a fever usually goes with those too.. otherwise DEEP breaths mommy.. after too long of my son exploding when I've tried to get him to show or tell mommy where it hurts or what's hte matter or tons of distraction or food or water or being mommy's helper or holding, can't do much mroe except put him in his room, he can come out when he's ALL DONE... period.. there have been days I had to do that almost ALL Day but the next day is usually better.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my son throws horrible tantrums in public when i put him in his stroller or in the basket. he loves to walk( which is really running ) i stay to my guns when i tell him no bc he runs from me and i hate chasing him around the stores. he thinks its playing when i chase him but after about the 10th time it gets really annoying. makes me frustrated, i have learned that when he throws his fits dont react to it. just calmly either squat down to his level and ask him whats upsetting him or just calmly ignore him and i just apologize to people in the store.
    MrSg324

Answer by MrSg324 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• thanks for all the answers! Now i have a few more options to try, and hopefully it all just passes soon!
    tycecoopersmom

Answer by tycecoopersmom at 1:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2009