how can i get my baby to take longer naps?

I have a 5 mth old son and the only time he sleeps for longer periods of time is at night (8 to 10 hours) I know sleep is very crucial for his development but he only naps for 1 to 2 hours over the course of the day and typically 15 to 30 minutes at a time. Any advice would be greatly apprciated! Thanks!

bjw_053109

Asked by bjw_053109 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can wait. That sleeping pattern sounds perfectly normal for an infant. After a year he'll start taking 1 or 2 longer naps... but what he's doing now is fine.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yours sleeps longer than mine ever did!

They know how much they need. Sleep issues start when parents get in the way of instinct's guidance.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My dd is 5 months and is sleeping like yours. During the day her naps vary from day to day. One day she may nap longer than others. I think its normal that they take more cat naps thru the day than to taking 2 or more long naps.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sounds like how mine slept.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• A well rested baby rests well at night. Do you have her in a dark room so seratonin and melatonin levels balance out for sleep? Typically our baby naps 2 hours early morning, 1 hour mid morning, 2 hours mid-day and 1 to 2 hours late afternoon. Once I identified her pattern, i know if she wakes mid-2 hour nap that I need to coax her back to sleep, soothing and susshing, rocking or patting or even laying down next to her if she needs a nip (nursing).
    lalafreduu

Answer by lalafreduu at 5:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yes I keep him in a dark room. And I'm not nursing (didn't work with him believe me I tried) and he takes a nap in the morning afternoon and evening but always short naps. He's teething and I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2009