How many of you mamas kept the cord after it fell off??

I had heard of women doing this, keeping the cord in a ziplock for scrapbooks or memory boxes & always thought it was really weird...until just now when my son's cord fell off & I couldn't bare to just toss it...it's what attached him to me for all those months in the womb! Maybe it's just my hormones, but I have decided to keep it for his scrapbook. Any other mommies out there keep the cord?? If so, why & what did you do with it?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shoot I still have the placenta in the freezer lol I know what you mean
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My DD is in her baby book and I will keep it forever. This is how i feed her for the whole time she was in my belly.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Guitly... for the same reasons as you. My husband actually said before it fell off that I should keep it for the baby book, and I was like" Eww!" But, when it feel off, sure enough.. I stuck it in a ziploc back to keep. Some people keep their placentas, and I've even heard of people making "art" by taking the placenta and doing a blood impression on a canvas or piece of paper. It looks like a tree.=) It is a bit strange, but we are moms... we can do strange stuff when it comes to remember our babies! haha
    Anonymous

• I kept all 3 of my childrens, the blankets and outfits they came home in, there teeth, etc.. I am like that, I keep all bday cards, gifts from them for mothers day etc. , drawings, report cards and special things from school. I have a hopechest with there stuff in it. I think it will be neat when they get older and I give them these items.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have a box with some of my sons stuff in it. Like the blanket he got from the hospital, cards we got, and his cord is in there too. As ugly the thing is, I couldn't bare to part with it.
    Anonymous

• Yes,I saved it and made a delicious jerky out of it!
    Anonymous

• Kept both of my childrens!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I threw it away, I love my son but it is a scrap of decayed tissue and it grossed me out.
    Anonymous

• I threw it out. I have a living breathing son, there was no need for a decayed/dried up piece of flesh. Not to mention on one, the cat got it.
    Anonymous

• i slipped it into an envelope and placed it in her 'scrap' book. Scientists have actually pulled stem cells from dried tissue. thought it was interesting
    lalafreduu

Answer by lalafreduu at 5:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009