home made gifts for the holidays, help me please

well this year i cant buy my mom, grandma, grandpa and cousins anything because of money being tight. My husband is back from deployment as of july :-) but that means no more extra money. What are some things i can make at home that wont cost much? and make it look pretty with ribbons etc? For the kids im probably going to go to the dollar store lol but oh well. I more concerned with my Grandparents, Mother inlaw and my mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have been collecting baby food jars to make snow globes with. There is a lot of jar food things you can do for pretty cheap.
    Anonymous

• I am the OP-I dont own any baby jars because there are no babies in the house.
    Anonymous

• You can learn(if you don't already know how of course) to knit, crochet, or sew something for all of the ladies in your life. You can do afghans, quilts, sweaters, blankets, hats, etc. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• this year I am making all the ladies in my family lavendar sachets. my friend got me a huge bag of lavendar in bulk for $5 at a store, and I already have a ton of fabric. sachets are easy to make and smell so nice! . for my nephews I might do what I did last year, give them all their own tin containers with my homemade m&m cookies. I got the containers from the dollar tree and the m&m cookie ingredients aren't inexpensive. but everyone else I'm still kinda clueless! my parents would probably be happy with a photo of my family in a pretty frame or perhaps a xmas ornamant frame. *anon because a certain someone is on cafemom and dont want to ruin my ideas lol*
    Anonymous

• Baked goods are always a big hit.

You can create a gift in a clear jar for a recipe by placing the dry ingredients in layers and attaching the typed recipe for them to make themselves. Jars can be decorated with inexpensive items such as scraps of cloth between the lid and screw on ring on a mason jar, ribbon tied around the jar, attaching a wooden spoon....let your imagination run wild.

For any children that you have to gift you can make them one of two gifts that are very inexpensive: Snowman Soup or Magic Reindeer Feed. Either one can be looked up online along with the little poem that gets attached to each one.

Hope this helps a little bit.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Anon- Oh ok, so someone you know is on here and your buying/making something for them too? where can i find a pattern or information on how to make a sachet? i dont know how to sew or anything! im very clueless on that. If someone could please send me a link?
    Anonymous

• PrydferthMenyw- Thanks for the tips, i like those! and i know i can buy mason jars at the dollar store. I seen those cute wooden spoons, but i dont know if a Michaels or Joann's sells those.
    Anonymous

• TAKE A FEW BAGS OF TINY PRETZELS AND PUT THEM ON WAX PAPER AND DRIZZLE THEM WHEN CHOCOLATE AND WHITE CHOCOLATE AND SPRINKLES ON SOME ....AFTER THEY DRY PUT THEM IN BAGS AND TIE WITH A RIBBON ......EASY AND YUMMY!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• On the Betty Crocker Site and also at Better Homes and Gardens there are recipes for making jars with layers of all the ingredients for cookies or muffins ir the like. You put it all in the pretty jar, the tie a ribbon on it with a card that tells what it is and how to make it! My kids thought these were great. I also give home baked things to my family, especially the ones who don't like to cook. THey all beg for chex mix, so I make a huge batch and bag it up nice to give as gifts. It is not cheap to make, but it makes a LOT!
    kassandra55

Answer by kassandra55 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yep! baked good, self made flavored teas ... all sorts of things you can arrange in a basket

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009