Is it insane to want to change our last names?

I have always HATED my last name. I got teased alot during school because of it (my last name is Whitehead) so I was a pretty easy target. Anyway, I've wanted to legally change it to "Rose" (just because it sounds nice) for several yrs but the only reason I havent is because I have a 9 yr old daughter & I dont want us having different last names. But recently she's been telling me she doesn't like her last name either. (she might have picked it up from me). anyway, I've never been married & i do plan on getting married someday (im 26) & who knows if i'll even take his lastname. Is it crazy to changed our names? I feel like the name holds us back & my family isn't close so i wouldnt feel bad about it in that respect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would probably wait until your child was old enough to truly have an opinion, as in over the age of 15 or 16. I went to school with kids with that last name and it wasn't a big deal. It could be a lot worse, lol, my SIL's last name is "Lard." Your DD probably picked up that distaste for the name from you. Actually, I can think of a lot of ways someone with the last name "Rose" can be picked on, so if that were your concern would choose something more generic, BUT if it is your life long dream, do it. Just don't change your daughter's until she is old enough to be sure. FWIW any name can be made fun of in the hands of a child, no one is immune......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Aw I totally went to school with a girl named Leigh Whitehead, I didn't think it was bad! I'd embrace it, any name can suck, but that's just me.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 5:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's not bad. We changed our last name when our kids were 6 and 1. My husband used to work in law enforcement, and when he got out, we changed our name from a very unusual one to a very common one. All it took was some forms getting filled out, a fee, and a trip to court. We used LegalZoom.com for the paperwork. It was very easy. The hard part is getting everything, including birth certificates for the kids and hubs, in the new name. His mom wasn't too happy about it, but that's her problem.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Ok now I must know what your last name is lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2009