I want to change our names legally. Is it crazy??

I have always HATED my last name. I got teased alot during school because of it (my last name is Whitehead) so I was a pretty easy target. Anyway, I've wanted to legally change it to "Rose" (just because it sounds nice) for several yrs but the only reason I havent is because I have a 9 yr old daughter & I dont want us having different last names. But recently she's been telling me she doesn't like her last name either. (she might have picked it up from me). anyway, I've never been married & i do plan on getting married someday (im 26) & who knows if i'll even take his lastname. Is it crazy to changed our names? I feel like the name holds me back & my family isn't close so i wouldnt feel bad about it in that respect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Do you not like the name because it refers to a skin blemish? If you don't feel emotionally attached to the name, then I see no reason for you not to change it. What about just dropping the "head" and using the last name "White". Then you wouldn't have to get new monogrammed towels.......LOL!

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I think you should do whatever you need to do in order to feel good about yourself. Counseling would tell you that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Not crazy at all! I had a fine last name until I got married, then i got stuck with a terrible last name! I thought really hard about just keeping my maiden name, but I still had to live with my husbands last name, because I was living with him and have children with him. Anyway, I went to a general laywer and had him file the paperwork. It was the best decision I've EVER made. I took a derivitive of his last name so he changed his too! Whitehead is not that bad compared to what we had! But if you hate it and don't feel comfortable with it, definitely change it. I like what Dyndudes said, just drop the head and use White, it will be an easier transition for everyone. Also, save up some money it's a bit spendy to hire a lawyer and have them file the paperwork. Good luck
    Anonymous

• go marry a guy with teh last name rose! ;) JK :)
    Go for it if it bothers you that much. i have no idea what it'd involve but best of luck
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• OP

LMFAO @ dyndudes!!
    Anonymous

• not weird, why not? if ya hate it and you and dd agree on something... thats fun!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Ok not to be mean but b4 the days of caller id we used to prank call. I was seriously in 5th grade so give me a break please...We had enighbors with the last name whitehead. We would call and ask for Mr. Blackhead..then tell them sorry got the wrong pimple. I know that is totally immature, but I wouldnt think a name like whitehead would hold you back in life. I can see teenagers teasing about it, but as an adult i dont think it would bother me....everyone will still remeber you as whitehead unless you move?!
    Anonymous

• First of all, thank you- my married name is Rose! I say do it. People change their names all the time. IDK how much it costs in your state, but in my state it costs like $100 and that's it. Do it!
    Anonymous

• yes, do it!!!!! i am thinking about it too. i hate my married name
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009