At what age is it appropriate to breastfeed in public?

I saw a large child (probably 3 or 4) lift up his mothers shirt and breastfeed in kmart tyhe other day, then jump off and start running around and playing..is it just me or is that just WEIRD????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately breastfeeding even a baby is sometimes frowned upon in our society. I would be a little shocked as well, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• There are certain nursing "manners" that a lot of people teach their breastfeeding kids, I still BF my 15 mo old, and this wouldn't be ok w/ me anywhere! But that's just me.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 4:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• When they start walking it is time to stop. But that my opinion I just would feel uncomfortable... There was a lady on cnn that breast feed her child and he was I believe 8 years old
    Anonymous

• I think any age is appropriate. I am a supporter of self-weaning (not like 8 years old lol but if they are 3 or 4 and want a little snack thats fine imo). of course lifting up the moms shirt and running away isnt appropriate! at this age the mom needs to teach the child manners "ask mommy first before you just lift up the shirt!"
    Anonymous

• When they start walking? really? What about the babies that walk between 9-11 months who are still supposed to be on formula or breastmilk until they are at LEAST 1 for optimal nutritional value? It wouldn't make sense just to switch to formula just because they are walking if they are a breastfed baby. I'm not trying to be mean, just curious why that would make more sense than to keep breastfeeding a breastfed baby for at least a year.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 4:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• hahahaha! I was at a dinner party with my newborn son at the time and a bunch of other mothers, when this child about 4 or 5 walks up to one of the moms and says "mom, I am thirsty" this mom lifts up her shirt and lets her kid have a drink...without skipping a beat in the conversation!!! I was horrified! I breastfed unitl my son was about 2, i wasn't afraid I did it where ever I needed to, but I always made sure to at least cover up, I didn't want my girls flying around un-bound!
    mfavelo

Answer by mfavelo at 4:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• whenever they self wean... i do not think it abnormal, or inappropriate for a young child to still be nursing. in fact, it is likely the best continuing investment in the child's health that the mother could make.
    would i tolerate my child ripping at my clothes? no, they all use manners. but if it didn't bother the mum, why should it bother you?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• That's perverted to me.
    Anonymous

• IMO, at that age they are old enough to comprehend that they can wait to nurse when they get home. That would be wierd for me and I'm an avid believer in extended breastfeeding......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• when your child is potty trained i think its time to call it quits
    Anonymous