How many is too many?

So I am yet again asking questions about my 4 year old's constipation problem. He STILL hasnt gone on his own yet. He went back to the doctor yesterday and she told me to flush his system out and give him an enema last night and another today, now let me just say that this child has had a total of 7 enemas in the past month cause he wont poop on his own, he just keeps holding it and when I do the enema his poop is bigger than my husbands fist!. Hes on stool softners and fiber and laxatives. I've changed his diet as much as I could. I was just told that too many enemas can affect them but I mean what else am I supposed to do if he doesnt poop for a week at a time?! Please help, Im at my breaking point!!!!

ILovemyson1020

Asked by ILovemyson1020 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Too many laxatives are also bad...see another doctor...

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• That was my thought is to get a second opinion, it just sucks cause the insurance he has he has to have one set doctor, and to change I'd have to make a bunch of phone calls to pick another doctor.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I would get in with a gastroentrologist ASAP, using that many laxative's aren't good for him at all.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree with ali 1107

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Oh, man, that sounds PAINFUL for the little guy! Not just the enema, but the size of the poop. I would think after all of this, he could even be purposely holding it. I would talk to another doc, too.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i agree with ali, he needs to go to someone who specializes in the field with all those issues. i would make the calls and get my son the help he needs to poop. poor lil guy!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'd take a good serious look at the diet and make changes in that instead of constantly offering laxatives and enemas.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Have you tried Miralax? It is a subtle over the counter stool softener. My son's pediatrician has had him on it since he was 9 months old. It works very well once you figure out the right dosage. I was told that toddler should have one soft bowel movement each day.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 1:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I am sorry! Miralax worked for my son when we were potty training he was having issues with holding it in(he was terrified). We used miralax while he got comfortable pooping. He does great now! He poops every other day and for him that is normal.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I had him on miralax for a week and he started getting sick off of it.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2009