Montessori schools

My family is considering a move to Boise and I am looking for info about the Montessori schools in the area, and about Montessori schools in general. I am considering sending my son to one when he is of-age (he is two now), and would like to hear some first-hand accounts from parents who have experience with them. Are they really that different from public schools? Do they actually practice what they SAY they practice, in terms of letting children learn at their own pace and fostering a sense of independence and competency? Any info on them would be great!

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 5:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My daughter went to a private Montessori school here in Ca for kindergarten and 1st grade. It WAS a lot different than a traditional classroom in a lot of ways. It sounds like you have read up on it a little bit and if you agree w/the theory then you may like it. I did and so did my d. You should call and schedule a time to observe a classroom in action to get a better idea. In my opinion it is never to soon to start researching your choices so good for you and good luck! I'm happy to share anything else you many want to ask as well, must msg me if you want.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• From what I've heard about them is they make selfish, spoiled brats out of your kids. Kids are taught to resist authority and talk back, question everything and speak their mind. Not that that's all bad, but you don't want a disrespectful kid either. The kids think they are smarter than the grown ups and let you know it. I'm just not in favor of such an unstructured system. Kids go crazy with no boundaries---then they become out of control beasts. Try finding a nice Christian school and leave the new-age garbage for Oprah and Deepak Chopra.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• New age? Montessori has been around since 1900. And IMO, its the parents' job to teach respect for authority, not teachers. Kids are at school to LEARN and be taught to THINK, not be forced to submit. That is what is wrong with the school system these days - kids are sent to school and expected to learn how to follow rules and memorize and regurgitate information, things that might help them do well on standardized tests but do not, in the least, help them become equipped for living life as conscientious adults. Parents assume that schools will teach their kids everything, and so they slack on their job to teach things like rules and respect. I assume from that response that you went to a Christian school, which illustrates nicely my point. If you want to send your kids to a place where they will be forced to submit, be my guest, but don't judge others for not wanting to create blind, stupid sheep out of their kids.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009