Is my OBGYN doing everything they should?

I'm 33wks pregnant with my second child. At the begining of my pregnancy, we moved across country and I had to get a new OBGYN... They don't seem as 'on the ball' with everything as the last place I went to before I moved, but then again, i'm in a tiny town not a big city.
It took about 4wks to get my 1st appointment. They did a pelvic exam and scheduled an ultrasound (which took another several weeks) for around 20wks. But they haven't done another ultrasound or exam since... is this 'normal'? I seem to remember when I was pregnant with my first child, they did more ultrasounds than I can count during my pregnancy, and did quite a few pelvic exams where they would "feel" the baby and check my cervix.
So help me put my mind at ease! I'm thinking all offices do things a little differently, but I just want to see if i'm the only one that thinks they should be doing more. :p

wasabi_rave

Asked by wasabi_rave at 5:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• most practices do one ultrasound in a pregnancy. some do 0 some do 3 or more! :) if you feel uncomfortable though, maybe you should try to switch
    Anonymous

• oh and pelvic exams are pretty much useless :)
    Anonymous

• I only had 1 sonogram with my dd cause their were no complications. I was surprised some of my friends had so many!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yeah I wasn't exactly complaining about the lack of pelvic exams. lol
    But they also keep changing around my due date based on that one ultrasound, even though I know the date of conception. Dec 14th, Dec 21 and now Jan 1st?? Crazy people I tell ya.
    wasabi_rave

Answer by wasabi_rave at 5:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• most only do one U/S

I didn't see an OB for #1 and #2 until about 25weeks. didn't see one until 30weeks with #3 and then it was weekly.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sounds normal to me. I had a baby in PA and a baby in TX. Both offices followed pretty much the same procedures. I had one done when i first went so they could see how far along i was. I had another at 20 weeks, and another at 36 weeks. However, the office in PA "checked me" more frequently throughout the pregnancy. The office in TX only checked at the very end.

I think the standard things throughout most obgyn offices are the blood work, the urine test at every check-up, at least a 20 week ultrasound, and cervical checks towards the end of the pregnancy. but if there are certain things you would like them to do or have questions about, I wouldnt hesitate bringing it up at your next appt.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yeah the due date stuff is annoying but i also think that's pretty common, imo they should just say you are due between dec15 and jan15, or something like that, and then not induce unless there is a real reason, just in case.
    Anonymous

• Ultrasounds really arent even necessary unless they suspect something is wrong or you have a high risk pregnancy... so doing one is normal. No pelvic exams seems normal too. I only had one at my very first check up and not again until i was in labor.
    Anonymous

• I got one ultrasound at the very beginning to confirm/determine the due date. Then one at 22 weeks. I didn't get another one until I was in labor because the midwife thought she was head down but wasn't 100% sure. Turned out I had two bags of water and that's why it didn't feel completely right to her. I had a pelvic exam at the first appointment. They did the Group B Strep test at week 35, but didn't really examine anything and then checked my cervix at week 38. I went into labor before the next appointment so that was the last time they checked.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've had 2-3 ultrasounds with each of my pregnancies.
    I am currently 15 weeks and already had 1 and I know they want to do another one soon.
    Anonymous