What is more important in a text, Quality or Quantity (popularity)?

I was recently answering another post and responding to another poster who was bashing a version of the bible they didn't like. So, is it more important to have a version which is well known and popular or a version which is well and accurately translated but less popular? Or doesn't it matter?

The original post was aimed at the bible, but this question works for any text (religious or historical).

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As I said in the other post. For me quality will always matter more than popularity! The difference between the work is or was can make a HUGE difference in the meaning of a text. No matter how popular something is, if it's miss translated it's not helping anyone understand the beliefs or deity behind it. Reading a mistranslated text and trying to live by it would be like watching the news with mis-written reports. How much help would it be to hear a report about how a killer WAS on the loose in your town when the truth is that the killer IS on the loose... That simple mis-written word could mean your life. With religious texts it COULD mean your soul/spirit or at least your connection with your deity.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• quality - i won't the most accurate translation.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sad that it's even a question - the most popular SHOULD be the most accurate. Although, for us it's rough because what is generally accepted as the best translation of the Poetic Eddas is also out of print. There are 3 others that are currently in print, but none of them are considered to be as good as the old one. The old one is available online now, at least. I have a hard cover of one of the "lesser" editions and keep a bookmark to the "good" one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Quality, the most accurate version is what is important to me.

Problem is when you get differing opinions on which is just that. Then you have to go to a buttload of various sources to see which is truly more accurate and even then you cant trust them to be truthful or correct so then you go by instinct.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i go for quality as well.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Quality. But I think the most popular versions are very good quality. I have never heard of anyone saying that there is a less popular version that is "better" -- I have not found serious differences in ANY of the versions I use (whether they are popular or not).

I think though that there are certain groups of people who use vastly different translations of the Bible and claim that it is the ONLY accurate version. They are a smaller group than mainstream Christians and so maybe that is what you are talking about? I don't want to name names or versions. But is that what you are talking about?

I personally don't find their version accurate, but that has nothing to do with popularity.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 8:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Quality, handsdown.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Quality, That's why I looked and researched my new Study bible. Also I want one that cross references other verses, and has footnotes, which explains the reason for using certain words and such.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009