Eating after c-section

I have a planned c-section scheduled at 1:30pm and I'm not supose to eat for 12 hours before. So, I'm wondering how long the nurses are going to make me wait to eat after. Also, what do you get to eat. I heard they only give you broth.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 5:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure if it is for all C-sections but with mine I only had clear liquids for I think it was 2 days. After that they give you the standard hospital food.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 5:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• 2 days!!!!! OMG!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 6:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I was able to eat before my second c-section, Your doctor may have different policy.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 6:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• 2 days!!!!! OMG!

I think it was two days. I don't want to scare you though. I may be wrong. My c-section wasn't planned so I ate about 6 hours earlier. Boy did I get sick. I suggest you drink all the water and fruit juice you can now. When I was operated on I craved this so bad and obviously couldn't have it at the moment.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 6:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• it's really important that you don't eat the full 12 hours..... it sucks i know. my last one was in the afternoon. afterwards i had broth for dinner and had a normal lunch the next day. i think for breakfast it was still the clear liquids.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• When I had my scheduled csection,I could not eat after midnight and I had to be in the hospital at 7am the next day.I only had clear fluids(beef broth,chicken broth,tea,apple juice) which I didn't even drink,I wanted FOOD!!!! But I didn't eat a solid meal until the day after the csection at suppertime,I harrassed the nurses constantly "when can I eat??I wanna eat!!" I remember I had a chicken cutlet with mayo on a bulkie roll with fries and a chocolate shake,oh man it was sooo good!!
    mamaslilpunkin

Answer by mamaslilpunkin at 6:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• After my c-section I was put on a clear liquid diet. Basically if you can see through it you can eat it. My meal was some broth, jello, a popsicle, and some tea. The reason that they do that is that every person's bowels react differently after belly surgery. Mine actually slowed so bad that they stopped. Some have no issue with it at all. It is better to eat the diet suggested than to cram a McDonald's value meal down after having the baby till you find out how your bowels react.
    jdelain79

Answer by jdelain79 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• With the c-section with my son he was born at 9:30pm, I believe I ate my first solid meal for lunch, however I was given liquids as I wanted them until then....plus I was closely monitored because i'm a type 2 diabetic.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Depends on the hospital. I had broth for lunch after having my first at around 8:30am and was eating regular food by dinner.
    When I had my son a year later at a different hospital it was no food or drink at all for 24 hours. He was born at 12:13pm, I ate dinner around 6pm the night before and didn't even get broth until the morning after he was born and then that's all they would give me that day. So for 56+ hours all I ate was 3 bowls of broth and 3 little containers of green jello (and I hate green jello). I asked for more because I was so hungry but they never brought me any. I was so weak I could barely get out of bed and couldn't lift my 9lb son.
    I had my husband bring me donuts when I had our 3rd child at the same hospital a year later. I wasn't about to starve because the hospital has stupid policies.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You can only have liquids for the first day. Then after that it is up to you. I was really nauseous after my surgery and was throwing up, so I didn't eat solids till the third day. But I remember being really hungry after my surgery and wishing I could eat a real meal.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2009