why are people amazed when kids have manners?

today i went to walgreens, my dd 2 1/2 had to go potty. so i took her to the bathroom. as we were leaving,one of the workers held the door for us and my dd said thank you withoutme telling her. the lady looked at my dd like she was an alien and ummm you welcome. my dd says thank you and excuse me, am sorry, please and your welcome. why was this lady so amazed? she has manners like all kids should!!

piwife

Asked by piwife at 5:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• because not all parents teach kids to have good manners
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Good job :) It is sad that kids w/o manners has become so "normal" that people are taken aback when kids do what they are supposed to lOL
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• bc usually you have to remind young kids and usually at 2yo it's hard to tell what they're saying anyway lol. so she was probably surprised that she was polite and spoke clear enough not to need an interpreter LOL

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• As mentioned, because too many parents don't teach manners and respect.

My son's teachers were almost in tears when my son walked up to them after they returned from a field trip and said, "Thank you for taking me on the field trip, I had fun."

They also are amazed that when he has a "color card change" (their discipline system) he apologizes to them appropriately.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Maybe she has a bratty kid in her family and she is jealous and amazed at the same time! I'm feeling a little snarky...so excuse me! :) LOL!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yeah, my 2.5 y/o has awesome manners and ppl are always acting like he's strange.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yeah my dd is very well manner andshe speaks very clear. so pleople understand her well. even as we were walkingout the store she was shaking her head
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Maybe because she works in a retail facility and a lot of people let their children run wild be rude. I work in retail also and I am just amazed at how rude and undisciplined a lot of children are. They run around yanking stuff onto the floor and running into people and they just keep going. The parents obviously haven't taught them anything about acceptable behavior. I applaud you for teaching your daughter to be polite and respectful. Good job Mom!
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 9:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My DS who is 3 even says "no thank you" if offered something he does not care for. I think it is sad manners are a dying breed, but sadly they are.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'm surprised when adults have manners anymore... if adults don't have them, it can take you by surprise to see a child who knows how to be polite.

My son has held doors open for ladies (right after older people (teens/20s or so) walked in and let it close. The only thing the lady said to my son was stay here with your mommy, ok?... I was 4 feet away, if that... not a thank you. Just a reminder to my child to not run away from me ... he just shrugged it off.

But things like this happen ... they use their manners, adults forget how to put polite sentences together...
    Anonymous