The 2 and 3 year old I babysit have extreme problems taking turn.

I try to keep track who got to do what first last time, but tears and whining have become the norm.

Barriemom

Asked by Barriemom at 6:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They are 2 and 3 seems pretty normal to me. I would not expect a child that young to know how to share or take turns
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's totally normal but here's a trick I use with my twins to keep the peace:

I say to them "When I say ding-ding-ding, you give the toy to your brother". Sometimes the one who has it gives it up right then and there and other times he takes his turn and switches when I make the sound.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I also find it helpful to give specific praise when they're sharing. I say "thank you for giving your brother the truck (or whatever the toy is) when it's his turn.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yeah, sounds like they're 2 and 3. :) If it's getting rough, I set a timer. Sometimes, when mine is having trouble, she'll ASK for the timer. It cuts down on screaming during play dates.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Since they are little sharing is going to take some time to learn. It eventually will happen since you are teaching them the right way to act.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2009