destructive lab?

I have a 1 1/2 year old lab who CANT be trusted alone. I feel terrible that I have to lock him in a kennel during the day but he leaves me no other choice. You name it, he has chewed it or destoyed it. I really don't know what to do anymore. Any advice?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 6:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Lol, labs are notorious for being hell-hounds well into adulthood. Crate training can be very useful in situations like yours; he sees his crate as his den. When you catch him chewing something he's not supposed to, replace it with one of his own toys. Don't keep saying "no," he'll learn to ignore it. Make a sharp noise instead, like UH-UH-UH!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• TONS AND TONS AND TONS of exercise! Take him to the dog park to run around, take him on a couple walks a day, take him running, take him biking, take him swimming, run him on a treadmill, throw like 500 tennis balls for him lol. Seriously though try to do 2 of the above a day to tire him out a little. Tired dogs are GOOD dogs!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree about lots of exercise. Don't feel bad about crating him either. It's better than him getting hurt/sick from chewing/eating something he shouldn't.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Well since he is cooped up all day and inside then its obvious that he needs EXCERCISE! Lots of it, a tired dog doesn't have energy for destruction. Try watching The DOg Whisperer....I learned a lot from him and from our dog trainer as well.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Wow I don't know! I wish I did! My in law's always get them! They're big jumpers & he rebroke my Seperated sternum & Collar bone! Then he finally died! Now my in law's are in their late 70's! They have a Lab puppy. Their son is 43 but doesn't take care of him enough. So he takes anything he can & chews or eatrs it! From towels, socks, paper anything! Nothing they've done with their past labs ever worked. Since '76. Each lab they've had is worse then the next! My FIL blames me for it! Since I shoo or push him off of licking off my makeup or not reinjuring my broken bone issues its my fault for "playing" with him & getting him all rialed up! Sorry I wish I knew. Maybe learning commands like No & leave it, obidience training may help? Please if you find out what works I'd love to share it with my in law's. Meanwhile we just have to stop going there for our own Good! My DD can't take her kids either. 4, 23 mos. & a newborn.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My grown daughter's lab ate EVERYTHING! I once told a woman he ate an answering machine with a side order of cell phone--and it was true. If your lab is only 1 1/2 she will settle down in about a year... Daughter's beast is getting better now. Obedience training helps, so does age.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• haha I have a 3 year old black lap and a 6 year old brown lab and raised a yellow lab puppy by the calmes of them all are the black labs by far. But they all were big chewers untill they were about 3 to 4 years old. My brown lap that had no real training didnt calm down untill she was around 4 years old. My black lab was two when I was finnaly able to let her stay out with no worries but she also went through puppy to advanced training courses and we ran, walked or rode my bake for at least two miles a day I tried to do 4 miles if I wasnt to busy and on the bike it only took 30 minutes of my day and she was exercied and didnt feel the need to get board and chew everything up.
    Anonymous

• This is very typical for a lab. I would recommend finding a way to where him out every day. I have a lab mix that is well a spaz. He is 4 years old but still acts like a puppy. He is not destructive as much as he was 2 years ago when we adoopted him but he still has his moments. I run him every day with my bike and in the summer he swims pretty much every day or runs in my cousins cow field.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• dogs become destructive when they are bored.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Ok here we go. Most dogs were born to run is what I have always heard. Most dogs need jobs. Walking at least 45 min. aday. Stimulation, socializing is what dogs need.They are pack animals. I started a doggy day care at my home for dogs that are having to be home alone a lot. My fee is very cheap for a fun filled day. I love dogs and need company...lol Also I need the exercise.! Its also a great home based job! I take up to 10 dogs a day. It's like a day care for fur babies. All my babies go home, tired, happy, and fed. Guess what I trying to say is that if you have a dog that is misbehaving, you must provide the work it takes to have a happy dog. Training, commitment, and devotion. The bottom line is to get the right help. Ck around your local dog parks for play mates , walks and fun if you can't have them in a doggy  day care. Take the time to have a happy dogs.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2009