breastfeeding immediately after c-section

I read that I may not be able to bf right away after my planned cs because the milk won't be ready because I didn't go through labor. Any thoughts from someone who has gone through this?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 6:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a c section on July. After they brought my dd in my room from the nursery, I breastfed immediately.
    LSteckowski

Answer by LSteckowski at 6:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i breastfed immediately after my son was born. So I don't think you should have any probs with it
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I didn't BF w/ either of my kids and both were born via CS. However, my boobs were engorged like you wouldn't believe, so I don't believe that is true! Congrats to you and good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My son latched on and continued to nurse like a champ as soon as I was back in my room. (The anesthesiologist insisted that I wait an hour after returning to my room to see him but luckily I was friends with a nurse who pulled some strings and As soon as they wheeled me into my room, they brought in my son. no nursing problems.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• nope.... i could bf immediately after for all 3 of my c-sections. good luck!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Oh, no, you're good. Your body knows it gave birth - the baby isn't in there anymore! :) My biggest concern would be making sure YOU are comfortable with lots of pillows and such.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't know from experience since my son was taken to the NICU following the c-section & I wasn't able to see him til the next day...but I know that, though I had a low supply (& still do) from waiting & difficulties & all the bottles & crap they gave him in the NICU, I was still able to eventually BF him. Your baby supposedly gets all he or she needs even with the just little bit coming out after birth. Plus, the first 3 days or so it's only colostrum anyways...don't worry mama, you'll be fine...if anything ask for a lactation specialist to meet with you in your room after your c-section.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I bf'd my c/s baby, though I did have labour before we discovered he was breech and I needed a c/s. I didn't get to nurse him for the first time until a few hours after he was born, but we had a very successful breastfeeding relationship. I bf'd him until he was just over one year, exclusively for the first 6 months.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Provided we're talking about at term, you will have colostrum either way of delivery, for a few days, anyhow. And you should put the baby to your breast as soon as you'd like, asap. Baby's sucking and the hormonal adjustment will create your milk supply within that first week. Colostrum is good until then.
    Are you scheduled to have your baby at term?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The only way to get your milk to come in is to put that baby to breast. Because you aren't going into labor it may take longer then average for your milk to come in, but the colostrum is there towards the 6 month of pregnancy and that is what they all get at the very beginning.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2009