are you picky when it comes to choosing a doctor?

are you picky when it comes to your docs gender or nationality or does it not matter to you? When i was having my son I did'nt care...i just went to a few obgyns and then picked the one i liked best...who happend to be male and indian. I have friends and family that will only see white female doctors..how many people are the same way?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• there nationality does not bother me. but i rather have a female doctor.Also i want a pedi that is vax friendly and into the whole organic/natural world and breast feeding.
    Anonymous

• I prefer a male dr. my family dr referred me to the OB.

the one I had for my first 2 pregnancies was fantastic! I cried when I learned he was not taking patients for when #3 was due.

I ended up with a female dr. we dubbed her 'the quack'. she hurt me, and when I said so she said 'well I'm a woman and I know what really hurts so suck it up'
    I'll never go to a female dr again.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I love my Male OB. I just feel better about having a guy. :) I don't know why I do. lol And yes he happens to be white, but nationality doesn't matter to me as long as I can understand them perfectly.
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• For myself I don't care about external things like color or gender. my standards are based on quality of care and the way I am treated as a patient. My ob/gyn was a white male but I picked him based on his personality and the care with which he treated me. My general doctor is female and hispanic. My girls pediatrician is female and indian. My husband sees a male who is Hmong, and has a white female neurologist. Our least favorite is the male Hmong. So it doesn't really matter.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I like old doctors because they have the most experience. I don't care about anything else.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• pnukey...my sons pediatrician was actually my pediatrician when i was a kid...he is pretty old. I'm actually thinking about changing b/c just that...i think he is getting too old. I feel like he really dont believe in all the new medicines and i have to beg him to give my son something when he gets really sick.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• As long as I can understand him/her I'm cool with whatever and whoever.Our pediatrician is Hmong and we love him.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I like my Obgyn and he's a man. However I am picky for my regular doctors. I recently had a bad experience with a woman doctor. I am more watchful how they treat me than their ethic or race.

PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My first GYN appt at 18 was with a male and was miserable. He was my PCP and I loved him for everything else, but not for this. It may have something to do with the crowd my mother insisted be in the room. So, for quite a while I would only see women GYN's. When i was having a miscarraige, the practice wouldn't see me. So, I talked to some people that work in the field and got recommendations. Now my OB/GYN is a male and I think he is great. His NP is female and she is wonderful as well.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have an older white male doc. I Just like him cause hes "grandfatherish" in a non creepy way. He is very striaight forward and doesn't make uncomfortable coversation when hes checking out my vagina.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2009