Have your or your child(ren) received the H1N1 flu shot? If so, what was your experience with it?

Did you get sick? Did it cause side effects? What age is your child(ren)? What finally convinced you to get it?

jacobsmom707

Asked by jacobsmom707 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Health

• I got my shot over a week ago. I had a little soreness for maybe 12 hours and that was it. I decided to get it because I'm pregnant. My doctor said that in 25 years, he's had a woman in intensive care ONCE with the regular flu. Just in the last month, he's had 4 in intensive care with swine flu and the other doctors in his practice all have had 3 or 4 as well. I decided any risk of the side affect from the shot was less of a risk than me getting super sick with a high fever, etc. That can damage my baby immensely and possibly put me into premature labor. I know it's a "mild" flu but everyone I have known who have got it have been VERY sick for a week or more.

I was totally against getting the shot at first since it's "new" but was told by my doctor it's just a flu shot and every flu shot is "new" every year anyway. I'm sleeping easier now knowing my baby and I won't get this terrible flu.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 1:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• All my kids have had the H1N1 and the seasonal shots. No one got sick since there is no way to catch the flu from a dead virus.

They've had no side effects.

They are 5, 4 and 3 years.

I feel it is my responsibility to do everything in my power to protect them when and how I best can. They also have asthma so are in a higher risk group should they contract any of the flus.

The H1N1 is not totally new, it is adapted from the seasonal shot. The H1N1 virus is a strain of influenza A. It is no more deadly than the seasonal strains. Next year, if you get the seasonal shot, the H1N1 vaccine will be part of it. (this is per our pediatrician *gasp* I trust our doctor! what a concept)
    Anonymous

• The mist, however is a live virus. You can catch h1n1 from that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My boys got the H1N1 today. Neither one of them has shown any indication of any side effects thus far, and they got it at about 10 this morning (it's now 7pm here). They are 8 & 6, and I've asked them a couple of times, and they continue to tell me that they feel fine.

What convinced me to get it was simply that we were there and the dr recommended it. I initially had no intention of getting it, b/c my children so rarely get sick. But then I thought about it, and even though they rarely get sick, why should I risk them getting sick with this when I can do something to prevent it? Plus, they actually got the mist, so it didn't hurt them at all. Although my oldest had to get a chicken pox shot that wasn't expected, so he wasn't too happy about that. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• No, and they won't. They all got a flu shot last yr, and they all got the flu, not from the shot but from just getting the flu. Our middle son has asthma and had the flu really bad last yr and the shot didn't help any... I make sure they get plenty of vitamin D and C , and wash their hands. The deaths from the flu are more of a result of complications from pneumonia. There are many strains of the flu and the shot doesn't cover all of them. I trust our sons pediatrician and she didn't force the vac on us. She said her children wouldn't be getting it, so that was enough for me..JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I got the H1N1 today because I work in a daycare and am preggo, the only thing that happened to me was my arm was a little sore and I was more tired then usual. Keep in mind I got the shot which is a dead virus and the nasal spray is a live spray.
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 7:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I got it because it was a flu shot like any other. And my youngest is very susceptible to upper respiratory illness. My 4.5 year old and 22 month old got it a week ago today. All three of us got a cold and since I didn't get the shot, I dought it was from it, but maybe standing out in the cold with a bunch of other people with young children. Other then that no side effects. They are fine.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I guess I should have added that my youngest got the shot and my oldest the nasal spray.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My kids got it nine days ago. Ages 8, 6 and 2. The 8 year old got the shot (dead virus), the other two got the mist (very weak live virus).

No side effects, no illness, except 6 year old got strep this week. Obviously unrelated.

I decided to because it is just like the seasonal flu shot that we get every year. The 8 year old is diabetic and getting sick is very bad for her so we do what we can to prevent it.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I got it on Monday. My arm was a little sore the next day. That was it. I decided to get it because I am pregnant, have 2 other kids at home, and work in direct patient care in a hospital.

My kids have gotten the regular flu shot with no reactions. The H1N1 isn't available in our area yet to the general public, so they haven't been offered it yet. I'm not sure what I am going to do about it - mostly because they are not high risk and I am not up to fighting the crowds (on bed rest). If our pediatrician gets it, I will probably get it for them.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 5, 2009