EMERGENCY CSECTION VS SCHEDULED CSECTION

I HAD TO HAVE AN ER CSECTION IN JULY OF 08..WELL MY DOC HAS REASON TO BELIEVE I NEED TO HAVE A REPEAT CSECTION...I WAS JUST CURIOUD HOW BIG OF A DIFFERENCE IS IT FROM AN EMERGENCY TO A SCHEDULED?? AS IN RECOVERY ND DELIVERY AND ALL?

youngandafraid

Asked by youngandafraid at 6:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There are benefits to scheduling, it does help a mom to be better prepared.
    But has your doctor discussed why you might need a repeat? Is there a health problem?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• THE REASON WITH MY DAUGHTER WAS FAILURE TO PROGRESS.. HE SAID IT WAS A HIGH CHANCE OF IT HAPPENING AGAIN AND HE HIGHLY RECCOMENDS A REPEAT..

youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 7:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Well, I would REALLY recommend getting informed about this and another opinion.
    If you go to a surgeon (OB) who puts labor on a timeframe, you have a better chance of having a surgery. If you use a Normal Birth Specialist you can labor how you like.
    If it was "FTP" then you Might like to consider a healthier and safer route, VBAC.
    Would you like a vaginal delivery?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I WOULD BUT HE SAYS IT THE SAFER ROUTE FOR THE CSECTION

youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 7:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Of course he says that, he makes more money. VBAC is actually safer. many women "fail to progress" because they are admitted to the hospital too soon. Or are induced, which often causes labor problems because it's not natural labor.

You definately need a new doctor. This one is using scare tactics to get you to cooperate with what he wants. All evidence shows VBAC to be the safer option. Period. There are lots of reasns a woman can "fail to progress" and most of them are bogus. Please see a new doc, you don't have to have another C-section scheduled. That's ridiculous.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Vaginal births are not always safer, ESP long term...theres alot of debates and research being done on that now....i am opting for a second c-section because ive already had one...i think it is really something you need to research and decide for yourslef. get a second opinion if need be from a doctor and go with what you feel.
    Anonymous

• I think doulalas point is that some doctors say it's the "safer route" when reality is it's just easier for them. Having a c-section simply because the baby wasn't descending means NOTHING for THIS pregnancy! You technically had no complications other than the baby saying now wasn't the time to be born, but being born then was forced upon the baby. Unless there is some medical condition such as diabetes or pre-eclampsia (just to name a few) immediately jumping to a csection is risky and more elective than a necessity.

Another doctor will tell you you are absolutely a condidate for a VBAC and not push a c-section, but many doctors immediately push for c-sections...more money for them, less work for them.

I don't see that a recovery from a emergency c-section vs. a scheduled would be any different. But all csections are different as are the dr.'s performing them
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I would only suggest you ask him Why??

Because "Failure To Progress" is perhaps a failure to wait, you can become empowered by getting lots of information. There is no amount of time that a labor *should* be. Many women labor for 18 hours, some for a few days. Others for only a few hours...
    Your doctor has NO way of know what the future labor holds. It sounds like a birth manager comment. How can anyone know how you will labor in the future?
    All the studies and statistics say that repeat cesareans for healthy and able pregnancies carry more risks than vaginal birthing after a cesarean.
    So I urge you to ask Why? he thinks the opposite. He is a member of ACOG, the organization that does NOT represent his views. It sounds like an excuse to manage labor. :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• i would read "pushed" by jennifer block. great book :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I think you need to take the time to personally look into the matter....dont just trust what the doctor says because he is a doctor and you think he is right...find out for yourself, there is a ton of info out there! Read it and then make your OWN choice, no doctor can force you to do anything you dont want to do!
    I dont know why so many doctors act like c sections are the "safer" way to birth, they are major abdominal surgery and come with a lot of risks, if you are a normal low risk pregnant woman then its MUCH safer to have a vagina birth!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009