Need Advice

I'm choosing to vaccinate my son. He is due for his shots next week (he'll be 2 months old). I have stopped taking him to public places in fear he will contract the H1N1 virus. Should I still take him to the Health Department to have him vaccinated or wait it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I am still pregnant and waiting to get my H1N1 vaccination. On the news they say persons under the age of 25 yrs are the most affected, and people that are pregnant or have very small children should get vaccinated, even the husbands I imagine. My suggestion is to call the HD and find out if/when he should. You don't really want to go when there's too many people. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• OP- I'm not getting him the H1N1 Vaccination. Just the normal vaccinations at 2 months old.
    Anonymous

• Oh, okay. I don't see why not, then. Like I said, I would just go when they're the least busy, and take some GermX. Otherwise you can probably get breathing masks from like Walgreens if he'll tolerate having one of those on.
    Anonymous

• Keep him in the carrier if you can...or at least the stroller.
    Anonymous

• I would wait it out-dont vaccinate until he is 2-3 years old when the blood -brain barrier is complete.....none of the vaccines are going to help your little one fight the flu or swine flu and it will compromise his immune system. If you are nursing he will get your antibodies and you can also eat garlic which will help fight viruses. if you are FF I would add probiotics into his formula and you can add vitamin D.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• You need to keep him on your doctor's scheduled timeline for normal vaccinations. Like you, we were concerned about our newborn being around possibly sick kids in the waiting room of the pediatrician's office. We solved that by having me go in to check in while hubby waited in the car with our son. When we were called, I called him on the phone and he brought our son right in (with a blanket over his baby carrier). That way he got his vaccinations on time, but the exposure to coughing kids was cut down.

He is now nearly three. I am a stay at home mom and we rarely go out now. I do the shopping on the weekend when hubby is home with our son. He doesn't have any contact with kids and won't until we see just how bad the H1N1 is going to be.
    Anonymous

• Ehhhh...I'm on that same fence with my 4 year old - she's past due for her 4yr shots but we have to go to public health for them (never been there before) and I'm seriously considering waiting til all the flu crap has passed through our area...the only "problem" with waiting on your son's shots is you'll have to delay them all - his 4 month shots will have to be later, his 6 month shots will have to be later, etc - because some of them have to be a certain amount of time later than the first one. So you'd be on an odd schedule. I'd be just as torn as you are, so I really can't tell you what I'd do. If you do go, be waiting outside the door before they open so you can get in first, since most places clean every night after closing, and before so many other people get there. Don't sit if you don't have to (waiting room),don't touch any more than you have to. Hand sanitizer, gargle & swab your nostrils with salt water after.
    Anonymous

• I just went through a similar worry with my 5 month old. We had a trip planned, which meant flying, and she isn't old enough for the flu shot yet so I was stressing out wondering if I was being irresponsible taking her on a plane. Well we went and so far are still healthy (we got back 3 days ago). I know someone who's newborn got H1N1 and she'd only left the house once, and that was to go to her 1st check up.....In my opinion you shouldn't let this flu run your life. Stay healthy, wash your hands, get enough sleep and live your life. If you or the baby are going to get it, you're going to get it...that's my opinion.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2009