health insurance (not political) please help

My boyfriend and i are trying to get married. We have almost all of our expenses figured out except health insurance for the family. Can you please tell me which health insurance plan you think is good, or you think sucks? What is an average amount to pay? does it cover perscriptions? etc.

I really don't get sick, neither does he, but we want our DD protected and able to see the doctor for well-baby visits. we also need some kind of emergency plan in case we have to go in the hospital. We are a little worried because we are full time students now and can stay on each of our parents insurance until we are 25 or out of school. our DD is on medicaid. However, if we go off our parents insurance (which you have to to get married obviously), we will never be able to get back on theirs. lol. so its like a security blanket i suppose.

please help soon?!

honeybee429

Asked by honeybee429 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well it's hard to answer. If you plan on getting a family plan through either your or your boyfriends work you rarely have a choice as to the insurance company you use, it's the one the company uses if they even offer it, and then paying the premiums.

But once married you all my qualify for Medicaid or Family Health Plus or similiar plan in your state. If you do you usualy get to choose which health insurance company to use with the medicaid. And it's hard to answer because insurance companies can differ. Here in WNY there is Independent Health which I feel is the bes,t but I don't think it's National, or even NY state wide. Community Blue is standard...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• yeah. our work does not offer it. I didn't know there was a medicaid family plan. we will definately be in the poverty level. and I already had medicaid and so does our DD. I just didn't know if we could keep it and if my future DH could have it.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I'm sure I'll get bashed, but if you can keep your child on medicaid, do it. Even if you can find cheap coverage for her, but still qualify for medicaid, keep it (unless you truly don't want to). I had my kids covered under my insurance but we still qualified, so they were double-covered - everything went through my insurance (primary) first, and what they didn't pay their medicaid picked up - which was really nice, because one of my kids had an almost $20,000 hospital stay! As for you and your hubby, you won't find anything very cheap - I do suggest starting with an agent that works with many companies, like Modern Woodmen (hubby got his through them, it's pretty good). And remember, the higher your deductible, the less your monthly cost will be.
    Anonymous

• I do not see any reason for healthy people to waste tons of money on health insurance. You are better off starting an HSA (Health Savings Account) and a good discount plan. That's what we have. There are 5 of us in this house, insurance would cost us between $400 and $500 easy out of pocket. We have a great discount plan (never pay full price for services) and an HSA. Our total monthly bill is $200. And we are always covered! If you really really wanted to get a high deductable insurance just in case of hospital stays, you can usually get those for around $100 a month or less.

Check out www.LowCostBenefitsPlans.com and let me know if you have any questions about the plans, HSAs or High Deductible Insurance! I would be more than happy to help!

ttys!
    Sabrina

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2009