trying to figure out when my hubby should take time off from work...New mom so please help.

Im due on Nov 10th so in 5days :) !!!
well the latest my doctor will allow me to go is to 41 weeks, so Nov 17th
And I have come to terms with that

so when should my hubby take off from work.. this is important for me to know from a moms point of view because, well, you know when his support would be most useful

here it is:
he gets 2 weeks paid vacation
I believe 1 weeks paid sick leave, which can also count missing a weeks for the birth of his child
6weeks partial pay from FMLA

Lets assume baby comes on due date to make this easier, so Nov. 10th
I will be working 4 hour-6 hour shifts 3 days a weeks starting mid January as well.

He does not have to take all of the FMLA at once, or take the vacation back to back.

Thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I agree with everyone except the post above... but they are entitled to their opinion.

My ex never took time off and I was completely on my own. To be a nervous wreck, emotional, exhausted (nursed non-stop) and that led to a very disappointing birth experience of my son. My two daughters, on the other hand, my husband took no more than three days off bc we needed the money. I was grateful for the opportunity to not have to worry about the baby so I could shower, go to the bathroom in peace and catch little naps here and there. Save time off for priority events, like first visit to doc, or when you need to go to your OB/GYN follow ups.

BTW, women have been de-feminized while men have been feminized. It works both ways. She already said she has to go back to work. Men who bond with their children are not 'sissy' or 'wimps'. They are better off for it and tend to be better fathers.
    ny_momof3

Answer by ny_momof3 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My hubby had it arranged with his work that he would call them the day I when in to labor and his time off would start that day. Maybe your hubby could work something like that out.

Anonymous

• I would have him take a week off when the baby's born to help out around the house. That should give you enough time to establish a routine to use when it's just you and the baby. And let him save the rest maybe for a family trip or vacation later and so he can stay home with the baby some if the baby gets sick. And some long weekends here and there just for family time. Maybe a few days after you go back to work so he can have some one-on-one time with the baby.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I agree with DragonRider! The hardest time for me as a new mom was the week or two right afterwards when they send u home from the hospital and you are on your own. I would have him take that week off when baby born... would u have mom or mom in law or sisters to come help too? I have mom and 2 mom in laws and lots of friends that wanted to come. I would balance that around hubby too but most important for you and him are that week to two after so you guys can get adjusted to little one as well as TRY to have time for yourselves which is probably taking a nap together! =) I wish you the best!
    Also, are you wanting to go back to work? I work at home with my 2 boys, one in school and one at home with me and one on the way. I would love to get you more info about it if you are interested. My email is rebeccabowen@live.com or visit my website at www.beingunited.com. I would love to answer any other questions that you may have!
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Every job my husband has ever had has been really good about letting him call in when I went into labor and then taking his vacation time from there. Of course he gave them notice of my due date and the amount of time he wanted off, but they never made him set it in stone when that "vacation" would begin. It's a good thing too because I went to 42 weeks with our second child.
    Anonymous

• Um, personally I feel that is just plain silly... Back in the day, the dads never took off work, except for the day of the birth. Mine never did. I was just fine. In fact, he left the hospital to go to work. YUP, we needed money and we sure as hell never lived off anyone else while doing so... come on, guys... everyone NEEDS money and they HAVE to pay bills.. quit feminizing these men for the love of God. They do not need to sit home with new mommy and baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009