Not really sure what to do...

First time mom here, and my son is 14 months. I am 7 months pregnant with our second, and I just don't know what to do with my son.... literally. My husband can play and rough house with him, but I am left to just cry to. I know that I should be trying to teach him things, but I honestly don't know what I should be doing with him, I feel completely clueless!

steef

Asked by steef at 8:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just show him some extra attention. he can since that the baby is comming and he is needy towards you. Its normal. At that age he is a free spirit and learns as he go. Kids are tricky, but relax and comfort him as much as posible.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Just sit on the floor and play with him. Follow his lead and go with what he's playing with. You can certainly talk/ask questions about colors, numbers and things like that when you're playing because at that age, learning is best done through play anyway.

You can sit at the table with him and color or play with playdough.

If the weather is nice, take him to the park or just for a little walk in your neighborhood.

You may want to check with your local houses of worship to see if they have a weekly drop in playgroup: it'll give you a bit of a break and him a chance to play with other children. Don't forget story hour at your public library. Check your local Early Intervention too. They usually have playgroups and you can attent as community members.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Me and my son who will be 2 on sunday do flashcards, work on names of color's with cars and when we see anything actually I will say Oh Max, look at the blue car, purple shirt, yellow butterfly.. , point out what things are in books, color with crayons on paper, I make pictures of things he knows.. I made a picture chart of all his loved ones and we worked on "who is this" and went over the names. we practice picking up toys and putting them away in the right spots and throwing things away, he loves to be my "helper" at the grocery store and hand me things or put them in the cart.. We made/make forts with blankets or both hid under there and played peek a boo with the kitty cats or daddy.since its not summer I wont' go on about that... my son is pretty tough and needs constant entertainment so we have actually had to be quite creative.. more than a lot of people from what I see...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• you can read to him and play with his toys with him
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• thank you! some really great ideas. I will for sure be trying some of them. I really appreciate all of the feedback!
    steef

Answer by steef at 1:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Read lots to him and show him lots of love and affection. Remember to continue with this after the baby comes. Allow him to be a part of helping mommy with the baby so he feels like he is a part of it all too. He will need extra attention and you will be a very tired mommy, but it will be worth the extra effort on your part. Good luck!
    AngeliaG

Answer by AngeliaG at 11:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Get some washable markers and paper, um lots of blocks, get those board books, so you can read to him, and he can play and look at them also, this might sound weird but maybe get a baby doll, and show him that there is going to be a new baby in the house and show him how ttreat a baby and pretend to change the diaper and get him involved by helpng you and getting the diaper for you and stuff, and show how to be nice. Um hide and seek is fun, sigging kids songs, my kids loved if your happy and you know it, hehe!!
    Icpjuggalette

Answer by Icpjuggalette at 2:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2009