spare parts

Does anyone else's kids have a third nipple? I am so serious about this. My 18 month old son has one. I was wondering because his first doctor said it was no big deal and not to worry about it. His new doctor said it will have to be removed when he is 3 or 4, but couldn't give me a good reason why. If there is some threat to his health I will at least consider removal, but if its just for looks, I will leave it up to him to decide when he's older.

phantomphan

Asked by phantomphan at 8:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've known a few people who have 3 nipples. One was female and had to have it removed because her bra rubbed it. But the others just left it alone. As a matter of fact my niece's husband has one. No health problems from any of them. If the doctor can't give you a good reason I wouldn't do it. Why put the child through that if there's no need?
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 8:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my son had that 2
    it's nothing. it looks like a birth mark. they said it might grow when he was a baby. it never did. they said something about when he was forming it didnt go away that all babies have 6 actually but they go away. I dunno but my son is fine. It looks like a little indent. I wouldnt worry about it. Just watch it and don't make a big deal out of it. Zay seen it when he was about 6 i told him what it was and he didnt really care. He showed it to my other kids and they thought it was cool.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I've known two guys with more than two nipples. They didn't seem to care about it and it didn't affect their health in any way.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My son has an indentation and mark below his right nipple. One of the pediatricians who saw him said he was starting to get a third nipple during development but it never went full blown. He's almost 2 1/2 and it has not faded away.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• my daughter has 6 toes on her left foot. One doc said it had to be removed, a surgen at children med said, unless it causes issues there is no need. THe first doc finally told us that she felt it "had" to be removed because it would be emotionally damaging when she was older..... Unless he can give you a reason on how it would effect his physical health, I would tell him no. And with the way I am, I would probably find a new ped.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• my neice has one she is 14, she still ahs hers.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I have pretty much decided not to do anything with it and let him decide when he's older. I would love to change peds, but all the peds where I live are together in one group practice. Half of them are older than fire and the rest are incompetent. The only good one (who we used to see) left. I have been looking into some family practices, though. This is the same ped who told me that my 6 year old did not have any type of ADHD or anything and last month he (my son) was diagnosed by 3 different phsychiatrists (yeah i spelled that wrong) with ADHD and ODD. So I am not real happy with him at all.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 9:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My step D's mom has one. It doesn't bother her so she just lets it go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2009