Midwife education

Ok, I've been trying to do some research on what I would need to do to be a CNM. I have no college education so Im starting fresh. After I get info. I plan to enroll to a local college. I have read that for starters I need to get my bachelors degree in Nursing, true? I want to take small steps at a time, I am currently a SAHM, with a big goal. Any advice would be so GREAT!!!
Also, how well do you like your job, pros & cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• First, you need to get your general studies out of the way. Then, you go for your bachelor's in nursing. After that you get your master's in midwifery. By 2015 they are going to make the requirements a doctoral degree instead of just a master's.

CNM is a big thing. There are other routes to becoming a midwife. Are you interested in becomming a homebirth midwife? You get a lot more independance, and it's usually faster. It's an apprenticeship in most states... where are you living? You can PM me, I would be happy to give you more information on that. That's my ultimate goal, to hold a license as a midwife.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Don't get the idea that general studies should be gotten "out of the way" first. In the good programs for nursing or anything else the classes will be integrated through out the four year program. You should have intro classes to your core subject during Freshman year. I'm not a nurse, but I am a professional. If the program isn't properly constructed it will take five years to complete full time. A very good question for any college is how many of your full time students complete in 4 years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My sister is a CNM. She has a BSN, RN and MSNM.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2009