Difference?

What is the difference between sin and iniquity?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 9:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• An iniquity IS a sin.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 9:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• in·iq·ui·ty
    n. pl. in·iq·ui·ties
    1. Gross immorality or injustice; wickedness.
    2. A grossly immoral act; a sin.
    Gealach

• 8.Exodus 34:9
    And he said, If now I have found grace in thy sight, O LORD, let my LORD, I pray thee, go among us; for it is a stiffnecked people; and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for thine inheritance.

i shows both sin and iniquity so sin and iniquity is the same? then why say it twice?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 9:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• to determine what the difference in you would have to refer to the original language... suggestion would be a strongs concordance. most kjv bibles have the strongs number in them and you can look online at crosswalk.com. most likely you will find two different words.

Anonymous

• nothing, in reality. Often scripture will repeat for emphasis.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• actually when it comes to the original writings sin and iniquity can have two different meanings depending on what the original hebrew word was. in jewish/ hebrew writing if something was going to be emphasized the same word was repeated (i.e. sin sin sin) but if using two different words what we see as the same meaning is probably different which is why i suggest looking at the original word that was being used.
    Anonymous

• They are one in the same I think, but I will have to look it up I hate not being sure.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009