shooting today...

i don't know all the details but from what i seen the guy looks like a terrorist.. ??? !!! I never wanted to be one of those people who wouldnt get on the plane bcuz said of a way a person looked but come on now.. why would a therapist or whatever good job he had want to join the ARMY. I just moved from bethesda they get paid pretty dam good. Maybe i just need to hear more before i judge but WTF why was he is the ARMY anways. I LIVE ON BASE now i have to be afraid??!!! n this is NOT ANON. please someone explain to me something that maybe i missed. I am confused and pretty upset about this.

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He was born in Virginia. Do all people from VA look like terrorist to you?

He was a psychiatrist FOR the Army.
    He had been in the Army for nearly a DECADE.
    He was about to be deployed and had voiced his concerns, he did NOT want to go.

Maybe he snapped. It wouldn't be the first time, I mean this is the guy that had to hear all the horror stories, the worst of the worst. I wouldn't want to go either.
    Anonymous

• i haven't heard a whole lot either but agree with what you are saying about him.

I say you still live in one of the safest places in the US

it is horrible what happened but I don't think there is much chance for a repeat inncident.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Muslim sympathiser, psychiatrist and a major . What a Pathetic man in our great armed forces. he had hired a legal time to fight his deployment. DISGUSTING

Anonymous

• Maybe i just need to hear more before i judge

That would be a BRILLIANT idea. It's a way better option than being a racist.
    Anonymous

• I'm upset about it, too :-(

Hopefully, this will help answer some of your questions, though of course it won't make this any less horrific.

He didn't join the Army as a psychiatrist. He was in the ROTC at his college in the 90's, got his degree there, then became an Army officer. While serving, he got his Medical Degree at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda in 2001. He then did his internship and so forth at Walter Reed.

He's basically been in the military for yrs and yrs, it wasn't like he joined SO he could do this, whatever his reasons for doing it now were.

It's a horrible, horrible, horrible thing. The irony is, he was a military shrink. :-(

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• He was born HERE and joined the military out of HIGH SCHOOL
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• its not racist to take in consideration the all of the person's qualities.

seriously i know im going to get backlash for this but...

How many Catholics have you heard of shooting 12 people dead and wounding another 30?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Hitler was a Roman Catholic
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 9:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Looks can be deceiving. My brother - who is Irish/Italian/Mexican, like me - still gets stopped in airports because he looks Middle Eastern.

In my opinion, this guy just cracked up. Early reports are saying that he was known to say he did not want to go back to Iraq. If his nationality were any different, would you still feel threatened? Probably. It's okay to be scared when a situation like this happened. I'm a hop, skip and jump away from Ft. Hood, and I remember when Luby's happened. No one wanted to eat at a Luby's for the longest time.

Fear does funny things to people. Maybe this will encourage the military to get more aid for our soldiers coming back with PTSD.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 9:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• ok true.... i stand defeated..Gealach..

I admit i did not know that.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009