Now that my baby girl will drink my breastmilk from a bottle I have a question...

So how long after I pump the milk is it still good if it is not refrigerated? Like if we go somewhere, and I pump enough for a bottle beforehand, how long do I have to use it?
What do you ladies suggest for me in terms of like how much to bring, etc from your experience? She is 3 months old. It seems like after 2 oz or so she gets full, could that be right? I thought she should be drinking like 3 oz at a time? But then again she doesn't stay at the breast for very long each feeding. She kind of eats little here, little there. Thanks!

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4-6 hrs at room temp
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• you could freeze it and th it unfreeze when you leave pack it in a cooler and it allow 6 to 8 hours out on the paper i have and you can freeze up to 6 months and 5 day in fregrater
    angl130pla

Answer by angl130pla at 9:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• room temp milk is good for 6 hours and refridgerated milk is good for longer so you may want to get a cooler to keep the bottle in if you're going to be out for longer. My dd is 5 months and I still only get about 2 oz a time when I pump and she's happy with that. If I give her 2 - 3 oz in a bottle she's usually fine for a couple of hours.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• at room temp it is good for 4-8 hours (depending on the source you read) I would shoot for the middle of about 6 hours.
    As far as how much she is taking... my son always took small amounts and stayed with small amounts... he didn't start taking more than 4 oz until he was almost a year. I think at 3 months he was probably only taking 2 oz a time too.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• 4-8 hours at room temp.

Think 1-1.25 oz an hour if she eats every 2 hours then 2 oz is fine.

NOW the worry is how the skipping a feeding when out with the baby will hurt supply...beware this CAN and will hurt supply if done very often. You have to pump at the time for a missed feeding for it to maintain supply.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• The best thing to do would be to nurse her.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 6:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i would say an hour an half at room temp maybe 2-3 hours in the fridge my son is almost 6 months he will be on the 12th an he drinks 5-6 oz each feedin now outta a sippy sometimes even 7 but yeah pack 2 bottles each four oz cuase you can recap it an stick it in the cooler if she dont drink it all
    Gothchicofdeath

Answer by Gothchicofdeath at 12:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2009