If you do not have your cervix checked for dialation when you go into the hospital, how do you know when to push?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You will feel like pushing, but keep in mind sometimes your body isn't ready. It feels alot like the same way it does when you use the bathroom for number two.

With my second baby, I was three cm dialated before I stopped working. We were halfway to the hosp. when I felt that I need to push. I did my best not too, its hard though because its an instinct. When we got there 20 min drive from our house, I was dialated enough but not fully effaced. So it was hard for me to push because it "burned" more like a stretching. But I didn't tear and my DD was born from time water broke at home till birth was less than an hour.
    Anonymous

• When you are in labor and go to the hospital they have to check you ! If not there is a porblem.
    MCNETT_MOM_68

Answer by MCNETT_MOM_68 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• That's a good question, I'm sure some people will say "your body will know" but that's not entirely true, because when I was in labor with my 2nd I had the urge to push thru every contraction and my cervix was only at 8 cm. I think they have to check you so you won't push against a not fully dilated cervix and tear it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• you have this utterly undeniable urge to push! it goes beyound the sensation of having to go number 2! its like having to go number 2 but theres no bathroom in sight, so you have to hold it until you find a bathroom, so when you finally find one the pushing is an amazing relief(if you can follow my drift; sorry for being vulgar!!!).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• *You* -as in the brain part of you, doesn't need to know. The process happens in that the uterus "bunches" up under your ribs and expels the baby downward.
    Your body in labor is pure autopilot.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Ladies, doctors and hospital are new to childbirth, but birth has been happening since the beginning of humans. Billions of babies have been born without anyone checking the mom for dilation or telling her when she can push.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have heard that some people never feel a strong urge to push, and I think my mom said she didn't really. People are different. As for how they know without checking your dilation, I have no idea..... but it would be curious to know. My docs always check me and I'm glad. Everytime I have dilated more I have had really bad cramping that I don't have any other time, and getting it checked confirmed it for me, and made me understand what was happening. Yeah, the baby will get born without checking it I suppose, but for me I like knowing how dilated I am cause in my case, it has meant steady progression and I am happy to know it. It might not solve anything in the end, but I like knowing.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sometimes there is a lull between full dilation and the urge to push. But your body WILL do the work. Trust me, it's overwhelming.

Also, not every woman needs to get to 10cm, and that measurement is subjective anyway because of hand size and perception.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My lower body was completely numb (epidural) so I didn't know when to push the nurses had to tell me when.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• If you push before you are dilated to 10 cm, you can cause trauma to the cervix. You will get edema (swelling) that can make it more difficult to push. Healing postpartum can also be delayed because you can cause yourself an injury.

Yes, children were born before we used hospitals, but midwives checked for adequate dilation and effacement.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009