Premiee with a fever!!!

So, my 5 month old premiee (31 weeker) daughter recieved her RSV vaccine on Tuesday. Last night (wed night) she woke up hubby and I coughing. She has been sneezing and coughing today. I checked her temp tonight it was 100.3. I gave her 0.4 tylenoyl. The bottle says to give it ever 4 hrs. She is sleeping now. Should I wake her up in 4 hrs to check her temp and give her more if need be? Or should I just let her rest if she is sleeping??

Thanks in advance!!

momtopreemie521

Asked by momtopreemie521 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also could this be a side affect of the vaccine?
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It could be a side affect from the vaccine. My doctor always told me that they could get side affects up to two weeks after shots. My kids always get fevers from vaccines. If you wake her, that is up to you. I always let my kids sleep, I figured they needed the rest, when they were sick and just check their temp and do medicine when they are awake. My sil on the other hand always wakes her kids like clockwork to keep giving them medicine. Your choice.
    Anonymous

• My DS always ran fevers after vaccinations too. Unless the the fever was higher than 102, I 'd let him sleep. If I was really worried about true illness, I'd sneak in his room and feel how warm he was without waking him, of he felt too hot, i'd wake him and dose him more meds.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• but what about the all the sudden coughing and sneezing?? I just DONT want her to get sick! :(
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• What happens when a child gets any vaccine their body goes to fight it-hence the fever-it is unnatural and while the body is fighting the vaccine the immune system is down so she might have caught a cold etc. . The fever is your friend in that you know the body is working. The coughing etc maybe that she picked something up at the ped.'s office. When you take a healthy baby into a ped.'s office you alway run the risk of her getting sick. About the vaccine -The Rotavirus vaccine is a live virus. A fever after a vaccination is a side effect. Even though the CDC says it is mild is certainly is not mild to a baby nor the Mom. Here is what the CDC says. I would call VAERS and see what they say. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-rotavirus.pdf

Are you nursing? That is the best way to protect a baby. If you are FF I would add probiotics to her bottle.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I highly recommend the book How To Raise A healthy Child ....In Spite of Your Doctor by Dr Robert Mendelsohn. Great book and also a great reference if a child is not feeling well.
    Loa1002

• oh I forgot to add I am not a big fan of tylenol-let the fever runs its course. Plenty of rest, plenty of fluids...
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2009