Sleepless Toddler...HELP!

Why wont my 18 month old sleep thru the night??? What do I do? He keeps waking up wanting a bottle! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would honestly cold turkey or wean him OFF the bottle to break that HABIT.. he doesn't need it. I waited too long with my son at 16 months, he was mroe attached to the bottle than drinking what was in it.. it took him 2 weeks but sleeps through the night.. ( most nights, knock on wood )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Your baby is just using the bottle as a comfort item; techinically after they reach a certain weight they dont need a bottle at night anymore. Im not sure what that weight is but i think generally it is accepted that a 6 month old can sleep all the way through the night. I started to wean my child at 11 months and by his first birthday he was completely sleeping through the night. He was drinking 4 oz two times a night, so i took the first bottle of the night and every third day i decreased it by half an ounce. He cried and was not happy about it but he got over it. Once that bottle was gone i started doing the same to the last bottle, and he stopped waking up for that bottle when i was only half way through decreasing it. Your baby is not going to be happy about it, and he is going to cry for the first few days but its better for both of you if you sleep through the night.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Thank you both for the good advice! I will definately be using it! THANKS!!!!
    Anonymous

• i had the same problem with my son and found that decreasing the formula amount in his bottle worked...however he still thought he was getting it and over the space of a week just stopped waking up for it. for example...if his bottle normally takes 3 scoops, cut it down to 2 scoops for three nights and than cut it down to 1 scoop after another 3 nights....i found this technique great as he still thought he was getting a bottle and he started eating more during the day to make up for it and he just stopped waking up. it was a MIRACLE!!!.eventually u are supposed to get to the point where their is only half a scoop in his bottle, however, my son didnt get to that stage. hope it helps :-)
    duffa

Answer by duffa at 7:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009