Swine flu vaccination caused swine flu in a 4yr old daughter of my husband's friend.

I'm 27wks pregnant and my doc called yesterday to ask if I could come in today to get the H1N1 vaccine. I said no that I didn't think I wanted it. Well afterwards I felt bad because I know that not everyone has had the chance to get the vaccine around here and I just "threw it away" like it was nothing. So I told my husband and he said that I shouldn't feel bad and that his coworkers daughter got the vaccine and then got sick with H1N1 virus. They took her to the hospital and gave her medicine she's fine now but why would I take the chance on myself getting it and passing it to my 3yr old, husband, or unborn child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You were wise not to get it. Even the vaccine makers are not sure how the vaccination will affect your unborn child.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm181973.htm

8.1 Pregnancy
    Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine or FLUVIRIN. It is also not known whether Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine or FLUVIRIN can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.

Anonymous

• i agree with you... i refused to give it to my two yr old. we just got the regular flu shot.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I believe it. I hope all goes well with you.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Quite a few of my coworkers children got the H1N1 vaccine in the form of the nasal spray, it is a live virus in that form. All of them have gotten the swine flu...seems a little pointless to me.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I haven't gotten the vaccine, and neither did my kids. I do worry about the pregnant ladies though, because you are considered immuno compromised if you are pregnant.
    SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• See this is exactly why I will not get it and I talked my dh out of getting it himself! Just because the world wants you to get something for the sake of them feeling safer about themselves not catching it from you- does NOT mean you should juggle your own life!
    Anonymous

• not only are we not getting it, but my home care nurse agrees with me on it.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 10:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• you answered your own question didn't you? My SO got a flu shot, didn't feel well, and gave the flu to me. My cousin in the 70's got the swine flu shot. she was pregnant and told to get. She had a bad reaction to it. Then a month later they warned pregnant woman NOT to get it. Her son was born with problems. Alot of people are allergic to egg white. People allergic to egg white are not supposed to take flu vaccine. Good Luck mama, my heart is with you. I am not an alarmist, I am telling you what happened to my cousin.I support your decision.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:58 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I have family members who work in health care who will not get it either
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 10:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• When I was pregnant in 2006 the doctor asked me if I wanted a flu vaccination and actually recommended it. (not the H1N1, obviously) I turned it down. I was more afraid of contracting the flu from the vaccine than getting it in the environment.

I have never had a flu vaccination and don't intend to start now.
    Anonymous