A woman told me not to pick up my son because I could kill my baby (26wks pregnant)

Is this true? I didn't even pick him up I sort of pulled him out of my car, he was backwards and walked, it really made me mad. First of all it was none of her business and she stood there and basically tried to argue with me over it. My doctor even said it was fine as long as I used my legs to lift. Anyways the lady ended up saying that her sister was always picking up her child when she was pregnant and the umbilical cord wrapped around the baby's neck because of it and she lost the baby. At that point I just smiled and said Okay and nodding my head and walked off. This isn't true is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That woman was obviously a piece of work. You can lift your baby when you need to. My son is 18 months and is 25ish lbs. My doctor said I can lift him, I am his mom how can I not. He said to not swing him around above my head for hours at a time, but that would make most people tired and sore anyway. People are waaay to paranoid about pregnancy, and I find that really only ACTUAL Ob/Gyns are realistic and know what they are talking about. Almost every single other person that tells you what not to do is full of it (especially nurses, which is strange, you'd think nurses would actually know what they are talking about). If you ever want to have peace of mind on a subject ask your doctor, nobody else's opinion matters.
    melodywelden

Answer by melodywelden at 4:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No not true. Well, maybe it was true for that woman's sister but it is extremely unlikely. My doctor also said it was fine to pick things up and bend over to get something from the floor. Some people love to give advice. Usually unfactual. The umbilical cord is a popular story, I heard it from quite a few people too.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It's usually to continue lifting what you have been consistently lifting before the baby. I'm really into weight lifting (heavy weight lifting) and I was told that I could continue during my pregnancy I just shouldn't try to increase the weight while preg but to stay where I was.

The lady's sister probably did lose her baby, but I'm pretty sure that lifting her other kid DID NOT cause the umbilical cored to wrap around it's neck!

Listen to your Dr. not some crazy nosey nut job.
    Anonymous

• The worst thing that could happen lifting something heavy when your pretty far along is the placenta tearing away from the wall. But im pretty sure your careful. I was preggo with my 3rd baby and i have an autistic daughter that i had to hold or pick up all through my pregnancy and i was fine. Just listen to your dr don't listen to anyone else.
    Anonymous

• That woman was clearly full of it I had to lift at work and I also spent quite a bit of time holding my step son and neither I or my baby had any complications.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• wow, if that was true id be in trouble as my dd is 15 mos and occasionally needs to be held and/or carried. im amost 30 weeks and it sux to not be able to carry her as much as id like but id still like to walk too.. btw my 15mos old weighs 25 lbs and her brother is still going strong!
    Trinity0820

Answer by Trinity0820 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• People love to think of reasons why umbilical cords get wrapped around babies. I was told to not raise my arms above my head, and if I did, raise them again and it would unwrap. Whatever. You carry that kid as much as you need to, just don't strain yourself.
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 12:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• my doctor told me i could lift up to 30pounds and my son is 25 so i lift him all the time and im 30 weeks prego and havent lost my baby i dont believe what she told u
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That's a old myth, just like carrying high/low means you will have a boy or whatever.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 1:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Unless your dr has instructed you otherwise, carrying moderately heavy loads is okay, of course don't exhert yourself, and if your back starts hurting, stop (for pratical reasons of course lol).
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 1:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2009