My1 year old is so clingy...when will he become more independent

Will he grow out of this. My fiance says I baby him too much...hello he is a baby. He always wants me...ALWAYS...when will he become more independent?????

Asked by notime4me621 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he will grow out of it. my oldest is 5 he now stays at his friends almost all day and my 18month old has his days when he is independent and days when he is up my rear.

Answer by stephanie422 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Between 2-3. Let him be a baby while he is a baby!! Give him oportuntiies to try new things and meet new people, take him to the mall or the park. in 5 years you will be wondering what the rush is. I wish my DD was a baby again!!

Answer by sapient at 5:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• When he moves out....wait, they still come home to mama then too. Mom, here's my laundry & what's for dinner...LOL He'll always be a mama's boy & admitt it, you love it.

However, at 1 years old, he still relies on mama a lot and will for a while. He'll grow out of it, but don't be suprised when he slips back into clingy stage. They tend to bounce back and forth. With my dd, I sometimes try to (bribe) give her things that are mamna's (pen/paper, makeup brushes etc...) and have her sit close to me but in her own area so that she gets special playtime & still is close to mama. This works great while cleaning or cooking or what have you. If I need to do something in the bathroom (makeup/hair) I have her booster seat on the counter and give her things to do, like brush her own teeth (play with it) or hair stuff. It works for me. Eventually, he will get further & further from you and you will have to go find him (look in the catbox...just kidding)

Answer by Jesstsilly at 12:30 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• He is just growing up and understanding more things with each day. He realizes he depends on you.
    But he hasn't realized that when mommy goes away, she comes back.
    I assume you are the primary caretaker of your child. Daddy doesn't do much? So the baby WILL and SHOULD want you when something is wrong, or he is just bored.

All babies go throught this and ALL of them outgrow it. All you can do is let him play independantly, encourage more time with daddy, and love him with all your heart.

Answer by newmommyy322 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I have the same problem with my son. Try not to spend so much 1 on 1 attention to him. My son only wants me sometimes i think he sometimes forgets that he has a father

Answer by fishersmom06 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2008