Baby is less than 1 month old. What can I do to play with him?

I'm wondering if I should make a conscious effort to do certain things with my newborn son that will help him learn. Is holding him, singing to him and making eye contact with him enough?

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 11:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never thought of playing with a newborn. I use to put on music for my newborn. I think a newborn is to young to play with.

Answer by louise2 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Yea that's great! Also, I liked to show contrasting cards (black and white pictures) to my son when he was that age and talk to him about the pictures. Babies that age see the best at about a foot in front of their face. When he was a couple mths older I would let him smell different smells, candles, foods, flowers, etc. You can also put him on his tummy and try to get him to reach for toys. You can rattle them and talk to him trying to encourage his movements.
    Anonymous

• Feed him rock him and sing and talk to him, some mothers like to read to them but I'm not sure if that does anything, but that's pretty much all you can do when they are that little. Congrats momma
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• First of all a newborn is not too young to play with. I played with my little girl. Its good for them to have that kind of interaction. Soft raddles are great! Most toys aren't really needed for a few more weeks yet though. Um u can do silly little things like tickling and giving him rasberries, as well as the rocking and swinging, and singing. Heck make silly faces. Remember u are you're babies entertainment at this point but really its up to u what u do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes. The normal activities of caring for him. He's not designed for too much input yet; he can't see all that far yet and too much stimulation will lead to a meltdown at night.

Relax. You're doing fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• at that age, yep. you will do more with him as he is able to do more. relax, your fine
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• The best thing you can do for your newborn (and well into the next few years) is direct skin on skin contact. That kind of contact stimulates the brain promoting a healthier brain. There are studies on young children in primitive cultures where the mother constantly carried the child on a hip sling and young children of a modern culture where the child is usually swaddled in a carrier or a crib. The brains of the children in the primitive cultures actually had way more brain activity going on. If I recall correctly, they even had slightly larger brains. Throughout the day, make special times where you undress your child in only a diaper and hold him or her on your bare chest. God bless you and your little one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• You can talk to your baby, naming things that you pass around the house. You can sing Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes, and touch those parts of him. You can "excercise" his legs in a bicycle movement, same thing with his arms. Patty-cake, counting little toes and fingers. Putting him on his tummy on a blanket on the floor to encourage him to lift his head (just a couple of minutes), teaching him textures (soft, hard, bumpy, smooth, rough, etc.) Mostly just interacting with him. Just having a relationship that's more than feed/change diaper/sleep. Congrats on your new baby!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i always sang to my baby and danced in front of her,she had plenty of belly time, play peek a boo.let him touch all kinds of things,,like toilet paper, leafs,grass. she is 17months now and is always dancing and singing
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Interaction is playing. You have a sling? Take walks, sing, let him listen to music, talk to him, mobiles, different textures.... when he cries find out why he is crying and fix it. Holding them etc... it is about a bond more than teaching them anything-imo
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2009