My DD didn't want to play in her soccer game tonight... Awhat would you do?

My DD has been playing soccer for a month and a half now & has laways liked practices & games. She didn't want to play tonight & wouldn't go on the field. She wanted to stay on the side lines with me. This isn't like her. When my niece gotr there to watch the game she wanted to start playing with her. I told her if she was going to play with her cousin, then she could go out on the field & play her game. I made her stand there & watch her team play. What do you do in situations like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• TELL HE IF SHE DID NOT GET HER BUTT OUT THEIR IT WOULD BE HER LAST GAME EVER!!! TELL HER SHE IS PART OF A TEAM AND THEY ARE COUNTNG ON HER!!! THAT IS WHAT I DO WITH MY KIDS!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 11:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Probably what you did, if she was sick that would be one thing, but she made a commitment to her team when she joined it and if she's feeling well then she should honor that commitment. Just not wanting to isn't a very good reason. You can't force her to play, but like you did I would make her go and watch and definitely not let her goof around with her cousin.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• O.K. there could be a whole lot of reasons why she didn't want to play. Perhaps some kids have been making fun of her. Since you aren't out on the field with her you might not know this, or maybe somebody at school was teasing her. The important thing is to get to the cause. I agree that having her watch and support her team is good, but remember this is suppose to be for fun and to develop skills. It's kids soccer, not the world cup. Forcing her to play will only push her out of interest in sports. Also I am wondering is she has discovered that she just doesn't like it. It has only been a short time and if she is young she may not yet have the ability to commit to a sport.
    I suggest talking to her and finding out what's going on first. Remember these things are for the kid not for us.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• It all depends really on if your child enjoys the sport or not. I tried baseball ,soccer,track,volleyball,hockey,iceskating,and wrestling on my 4 kids over the past 20 years. When they don't enjoy it anymore it might be time for a different activity. As for why your child didn't want to go on the field-I think I'd just as her. Some extra support is needed sometimes and sometimes they just say mom-could ya not holler louder than anyone else today geesh! (I got that comment obviously alot)
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Have her stand to the side and not play. Cant really force that type of issue imo.

So she missed out and Id have made a big deal everytime they scored about how it was too bad she wasnt there to help .
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I would have let her play with her cousin and then talked to her about why she didn't want to play soccer later. It's easier to have heart to heart talks when the kid's relaxed and content than it is when they are feeling unhappy or resentful.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2009