Who Has The Say-So When It Comes To The Kitchen?

My DH is throwing a hissy fit right now because he wants to put our new microwave on the kitchen counter. We have an extra piece of furniture that the old (broken) microwave sat on & I liked it there. So after DH showed me what he was thinking I very nicely gave him my opinion...which was "I dont like it there" and why. He got upset & tried to "fix" the things I didn't like which just messed up the kitchen even more. I asked him nicely "how often do you do things in here? how often do you use the microwave? why cant I set it up what works best for me since I'm the one who's in here the most?" He stormed out of the kitchen mumbling something about not being able to put things where he likes it in his own house...

So I wanna know if I'm crazy to think I should have the say-so in the kitchen seeing as I cook all the meals, wash all the dishes, make the lunches, etc (I'm a SAHM & have no problem doing these things).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Me...it's MY kitchen not his lol. Both my husband and my uncle try to "fix" the kitchen up for me, or they come and "help" put things away. I love them both but UGH...I have found pillsbury biscuits up with my soups already...thanks anyway boys
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• The primary cook has the say so!! Unless your hubby lets you go into his job and rearrange his files and work space at the office! This is YOUR workspace!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• The kitchen is my domain. I have rearranged it several times. It is where I work basically....Nobody touches stuff because I cook, my husband does not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My SO and I both do the cooking and we both clean the kitchen, so it would be discussed until we came to an agreement. But if only one person does the cooking and cleaning then I guess decorate accordingly.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• The person who does the work gets the final say. He can suggest all he wants. You don't have to TAKE the suggestion.

And when he grumbles, refer him to subparagraph 2D of the Marriage Contract: "Your wife is ALWAYS right. Even when she's wrong."

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Why on earth would he be bothered by where you want the microwave??? Is it going to catch fire where you want it? If not, then tell him to stop being a dork. You wouldn't go into his shop and rearrange his tools according to color because it was prettier that way, now would you? LOL! Tell him to stay out of your area and you'll stay out of his! The person who spends the time in there should have things where they are easiest for HER to get to.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Unless he want's to start cooking and cleaning in the kitchen then he has no say.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'll probably get bashed for this, but I don't believe in shutting out the other person's opinion in a marriage.
    If my DH makes a suggestion I don't like I won't come right out and tell him he can't do something in a home that is his, too. I would listen, tell him it doesn't make sense if it doesn't, but also tell him we could give it a try for a few weeks to see how it works out. If it is a bad idea he usually realizes it himself and fixes the situation. If it turns out to be a good decision then I am grateful that I have a partner to help me with decisions in the home.
    I wouldn't want to be shut out or criticized if I had an opinion or suggestion, even in an area that he has more 'expertise' in.
    Try to compromise and have an open mind. Think of his feelings first and allow him to try something new for awhile, even if you don't like it. He'll know you respect him and appreciate him more for your willingness to try. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't tell my DH where to put his tools in his garage...I do the cooking not him. My way or the highway!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2009