confused about babies and water - what about formula?!

so dont bash me about breastfeeding being better - i DO breastfeed but my baby was in the nicu where they gave him formula so that is why i starting thinking about this!

anyway so i keep hearing that water is toxic to babies, but formula is made with water so does that mean formula is toxic too?! if not then what is it that makes the water not toxic anymore by adding powder to it?! could someone please explain this to me!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• And breastmilk is mostly water.

Confusing, isn't it? **grin**

The thing is that baby's tummy is only so big. And needs to be filled with the most nutrients. Water contains NONE. So. Formula or breastmilk, both or which are mostly water BUT contain nutrients, are better than plain water. And too much plain water can cause problems. Look up water intoxication.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• water is not toxic to babies my mom has been giving us water when we were babies and I have been giving my boys water when they were babies, a little bit of filtered water won't kill them it's just they really don't need it, I gave it to my kids only cuz I thought it would be a nice little change from all the formula intake but that's just me.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Water is toxic to anyone in too large of quantities. It's called water intoxication, a woman died of it after a water drinking contest is sacremento just a couple years ago, and a baby got really sick from it because his mom was diluting formula.

It's basically caused by an imbalance of electrolytes in your blood stream. Too much water will throw off the balance causing seizures and eventually death. Since human milk and formula are both already mostly water, additional water without any extra electrolytes can create that imbalance and become "toxic".
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yea just like PP, its only harmful in large quantities..my ped asked me if i was giving my daughter water and i told him "no i was told not to, that its bad for them"..and he said i could give her a little bit at a time...they just dont want your baby losing nutrients by having too much water cuz they will get full on water and not want theyre bottle.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 3:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I let the twins sip some with their break fast or dinner (baby food twice a day) and I alternate that with four ounces of apple juice. The doc wanted us to give formula with the baby food, but for some reason they would refuse the formula when they were eating baby food, but they take it fine at all other times. You have to do what works, and that worked for us. So a little water won't hurt them. We also give them a little extra water when they are constipated, usually an ounce extra in one or two bottles that day.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• what water does to a baby is causes them to poo and makes it easier for them therefore too much water would cause them to go way to much and obviously thats a problem causes dehydration and all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It's dangerous in large quanities but a "large quantity" to a baby is really not very much at all! Like the PPs have said, look up water intoxication.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Water is not toxic. Not to the average child in average quantites. Even if the baby was only drinking water, that in and of itself, is not going to be the cause of the childs demise. The problem with water is that it fills the tummy and has no nutrients. formula and breastmilk, while water based, have nutrients! So baby gets what baby needs to grow and thrive. The reason water by itself is baby is that since baby has a tiny tummy, it's very important that everything in that tummy give nutrition to the baby.

Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• no lile1stpp said bm is mostly water. the waterintoxication refers to only given the child water
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2009