Do you prefer baby names spelled traditionally or creatively?

Just wondering...just for fun :)

How else would I spell my son William's name...Wilhem is even more traditonal!! Willyum? My daughter's name is Leah (pronounced Lay-uh, like Princess Leia on Star Wars). Leighia?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 1:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well actually Wilheim is pronounced differently than William. But I prefer traditional names. So like it's Siobhan not Shivawn or Shavon or Chivaan or XCiaVhan...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I like non-traditional names...with understandable spelling
    my hubby's name is DeMario...not traditional...I love it

Names that are traditional and have creative spelling just throws me off...At the end of figuring out how to say it, its like...man that was a lot for just that name...LOL
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I prefer the tradition spellings & here's why. One of my children has a name that is spelled creatively & its the biggest pain in the ass ever! I wish we'd just went with the accepted spelling. It's the same name regardless. Just easier on everyone if you dont jack with the spelling. After nearly 19 years of spelling his name to everyone, he & I, are tired of it. I cringe when I see someone planning on naming their child a regular name with a weird spelling. It's way more trouble then its worth!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My Silly Willy is really my Guillaum le Conquerant!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I think it depends on the reasoning why.
    For example, I know of a friend who has a son named Jackson because that was her maiden name. I LOVE that.
    But I also love my nephew Jaxson's spelling because they did it that way so it could be shortened to Jax instead of Jack.
    Same name, both great IMO.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son's name is Wylliam. He's 19 and loves his spelling. His brothers are Crisstoffer, Andru and Danyel (not to be confused with his gf's name which is spelled almost the same, it's Danyelle).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Well hubby gave my son his name. It's a shortened masculine version of my middle name Liana. We didn't mean to give my son a weird name and it is as unique as he is. Still, I would offer the advice to give your kids names that stupid people can sound out because the things that people come up with are often hilarious but not even close to correct.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If you're going with a common or boring name then spelling it like you're illiterate doesn't make the name more interesting! If you want to be "unique" then give your kid a less common name. You've already cursed your kid with a boring common name, don't curse them with having to spell it for everyone too!

My name is Ashley, I hate it, it's annoyingly popular and boring. THE ONLY thing that would make me hate my name more would be if my parents spelled it Ashlee, Ashlie, or Ashleigh.

I see things like Ginaphyr (Jennifer), Stehfanee, Tiphanie... Sorry, you just make a sucky name ever worse! Your kid WILL NOT appreciate your "creativity".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh anon :10, your poor children!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Well both really, my dd's name is austin spelt Austyn, but my ds's name is traditional Matthew
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2009