All her babies have homes!!! PIOG

AND have been prevented from over-populating the world with unwanted kittens!! I was just curious why i shouldn't breed my "mutt" cat. Why should "expensive " breeds only be allowed to breed? What about those of us partial to "mutts"? I have owned both mutts, and pure-bred. Both dogs, and cats. Bashing neither needed, nor appreciated, thanks..........heard that one. I wouldn't do it if I couldn't provide responsible homes. Or I would do it myself.

loving_mom7

Asked by loving_mom7 at 3:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Pets

• For every kitten you breed and find a home for, that is one less home for a shelter cat. With shelters killing cats and dogs every day due to a lack of room, why would you add to the cat population? There are already more cats than there are homes for them. It's not a purebred vs mutt issue. It's supply and demand. The supply of cats and dogs FAR exceeds the demand for them. To add to that is irresponsible and selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I think there is a lot of 'over breeding' or pure breds to. So... Just because you put a lab with a lab doesn't make it any better then putting a mutt with a mutt. Do you know how many labs there are in shelters. Pure bred ones even. There is just to much animal breeding period. Unless you are breeding for show then there is no 'need' to breed. A good breeder makes no money. It you are breeding properly then it cost. Parents need to be tested or genetic defects, mothers need good quality puppy food while pregnant, puppies need to be seen by a vet at 2 weeks for deworming... Some mothers need c-sections or x rays or ultrasounds. Just allowing your pet to fornicate is not responsible pet ownership. Breeding your pure bred dog just because you 'can' or to 'make money' is not responsible either. That's just me though I guess.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Just because you found homes for them doesn't mean you've stopped overpopulation. Did you have the cats spayed and neutered before they left for their homes? If not then who is to say the people you gave them to will? They might say they will but you never know what might come up. Maybe someone in the house will lose their job. Do you think spaying their cat is going to be a big priority? Doubtful. If even one of those people don't and lets their cat outside regularly, it's going to breed and then those kittens will breed, etc, etc, ect. You haven't stopped anything.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• also what if they had the cat and later decide to give it up. they can't find a home ends up in a shelter and then killed cause someone else like you put out more kitties in homes that are lacking in the first place. what you did sure helped, not. being a responsible pet owner is someone who makes sure they spay their animals. especially mutts or cats. they are the most undesirable my people. just cause you prefer mutts doesn't mean that most agree with you cause i would say the oppesite is true. hence the reason you find more mutts in pounds then purebreeds. a heck of lot more cats then dogs as well.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I know plenty of people who don't go to shelters because it is a pain in the ass, expensive and they love to lie about health problems. I was told my cat had a UTI. Turned out he had renal disease which they knew about (in his file) and did not mention at all. I ended up having to spend over $2000 that I really couldn't spend and eventually relinquished him back to them because I could not afford it. I was very upset because I had just lost an animal from this SAME thing and asked them to please disclose this information if an animal had this because I really couldn't take on that expense or the pain of watching another animal suffer with that disease. It's almost like they did it to be spiteful.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• When I bought my dog (from a responsible breeder) I paid an extra $150. When I provided proof from the vet that he had been neutered, I got the $150 back. She does this with all the pet quality puppies she sells. It certainly provided the motivation for some people who otherwise wouldn't bother to spay or neuter their dog or cat. My pets are always "fixed" but there are a lot of people who out there who don't.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Pure bred animals are bred because they are bettering the breed, or trying to carry on a particular blood line. Breeding a mutt animal just to have puppes or kittens isn't doing much for the greater good of a breed or bloodline. All it's doing is breeding a mutt of an animal. With Pure Breed animals you know what medical problems can come from extending the breed or line. With mutts you never know what you are going to get. A lot of backyard breeders do not go through the proper channels to take care of their animals. They do not take the pregnant mother to the vet, they do no sort of tests on the mother, they don't give her the proper nutritional care, they surely do not take the litter to the vet post-partum. I know from experience. I got a dog from what I thought was a responsible breeder, close to 5 grand later I am holding her collar and ID tag and my dog is buried next to two of my cats on a friend's farm.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I tried to help save the puppies that were rescued from local puppy mills recently in Evertt, Wa. I could NEVER find out when the puppies were gonna be avail or the cost. After lots of research I finally found out 3 weeks late that the puppies were adopted out at the Monroe fairgrounds. Also out shelter charges $150 to adopt any dog mutt or purebred. yeah, like I can afford that!! Oh BTW the puppies went for $300 and up!!!
    I plan on mating my schnahuahua this spring 1)awesome personality in my female & the male we're mating her with 2) all puppies will have homes.

WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Personality doesn't mean didly-squat! Did you have your "schnahuahua" (whatever, yeah all we need are more MUTTS in this world when so many are being KILLED every fricken day) genetically tested?? What about the male you will mate her with?? I feel for the people who buy a pup from you...I just hope they don't have to go through any heartache later on because their furbaby gets sick and/or dies because of your irresponsibility! There is a reason why rescues/shelters charge what they do. They take good care of the animals while they are with them (feeding them, vetting them, having them spayed/neutered so other idiots won't breed them...plus they make SURE the animals go to good homes, not just give them to any idiot that walks in off the street)! I didn't go to a shelter to get my dogs, but I did buy them from a responsible breeder plus I was responsible enough to have them spayed/neutered!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Frankly, I don't think just anybody should be breeding. People should be required to go through classes and have a license to become a breeder. There are just to many out ther. Purebreds are ruined by back yard breeders. I have " Mutt kitties" myself and the only purebreds i have ever owned have come from shelters. As great as the mixes are there are way to many of them. why add to the population of unwanted animals. THis past year alone i have found 15 stray adult cats and 3 litters of kittens that i have vaccinated,spayed and found homes for. I do not trust people after working in animal rescue so no animal leaves my house unless they have been spay or neutered. Some of them were with my for alomst a year because it was difficult finding them homes.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2009