Newborn projectile vomiting? Hates formula?

My two week old has been doing this lately, and I'm worried. I took her into the doc and they said other than her not putting on enough weight she looked fine. I'm breastfeeding but when I try to give her formula she won't take it, the few times that she has she vomited. I don't seem to produce enough milk for her and I don't know what to do. Sigh*

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 3:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it may be just the type of formula your giving her..the same thing happened to me..i was bf and supplemented with formula and at first my daughter would projectile vomit and i changed the formula and she was fine..i switched from similac to enfamil gentlease
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 3:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I hve some of the same problems with my LO I switch her to a more gental formula .I used enfamil gentalease for fussiness and gas. You could call her doctor and see if they have any samples that you could try out. I hope things get better with your LO and she feels better soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• try a soy base formula it worked for mine( way back when:)
    crafty66

Answer by crafty66 at 4:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yes try soy could just be allergic or sensitive to the cows milk alot of babies are my son pved also i switched him and he hasnt done it since or even spit up doctors dont pay attention to allergies unless you force them so just switch to soy and you both will be alot happier and your milk supply should come in more and more the more you feed so eventually you shouldnt have to use any formula! GL and congrats
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 5:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son did the same thing. Soy formula worked for him. I breastfed him for three months. My sil told me that she thought he was a little fussy, gassy (she was watching him for me during the day). We tried regular formula and he threw it right back up. When we did soy he was a totally different baby. We thought he was a happy baby but once he got on soy he was a really happy baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• have you tried weaning her onto the formula? Like 1/2 and 1/2 with expressed breast milk? I had to do that with my son. I think some babies are just more sensitive to the change than others. switching to soy may help to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If you would would like suggestion as to how to raise your own milk supply (not pushing you) I would be happy to share.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I actually think it might be something else like acid reflux. Try giving her mroe breaks in the feeding process - burp more often to help it go through her system. It could be an indicator of an allergic reaction. My little guy was very pukie and gassy - it helped to burp him often, longer feeding period and "jiggling" - and I eliminated dairy from my diet (bf) so I would suggest a soy formula as well, but soy is also a common allergen. And if she is not putting on weight, I think you need to push your doctor a bit - this indicates something is going on for a newborn and you need more support. Do you have public health nurses? I find they are the most helpful for these things.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 7:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If it is true "projectile" vomiting, it could be a serious problem. My son, first born, had what they call pyloric stenosis. It is a condition where the duedeum doesn't open after the feeding and the milk will "projectile" from their stomach because it can't enter the small intestine. It is only in first born children and it will require surgery, please have it checked and make sure you don't delay. You will know if it is this condition if they are not gaining weight because they are not consuming the formula..don't mean to scare you and am praying it will be just a formula change, I just have been there.
    QuiltLover

Answer by QuiltLover at 8:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I can't believe nobody has told you ONLY BREAST FEED. If you have to do it round the clock to get your supply up then do. Giving her formula will not increase your supply. Drink more water and nurse more. You will get over the hump. It has only been two weeks.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2009