How do you get your kid out of Mommy and Daddy's bed at night?

My three yr. old daughter would go to sleep on her bed when I put her down at night. But, every night, around 1am she goes to our room and gets into our bed. I really don't want her in our bed because I think she has to learn to stay on hers. My Mom is visiting us right now. So, even if I feel like taking her back to her bed, I actually don't because I don't want to wake up my Mom. But, she is leaving next week. Then, after she is gone, I'm planning on taking her back to her bed even if she cries. Do you think this would work? Any ideas?

gjessxoxo

Asked by gjessxoxo at 4:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is what I do with my boys (2 and 3). They still come over every night but they know the routine. Sometimes though I will wake up and my 2 year old will be there. He can be so quiet I don't even know he crawls into our bed. My 3 yr old has pretty much learned that he can come over after daddy goes to work. So usually dh leaves for work, the boys come over and we all sleep in until 9am but they stay out of our bed during the night (most of the time)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• my son (4) does that and i dont mind at all.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• THats the only thing that really works. My kids would get a prize if they stayed in their beds for a week.
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• When my DD crawls into bed with us, I just get up and take her back to bed (usually by way of the bathroom). She only tries to climb in with us once or twice a month. If you really want her to sleep in her bed you just have to be consistent, every time she crawls in take her back to her room.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yeah, just take her back to her bed. You can stay until she falls asleep or not. I typically do, but my 2 year old comes to my room if she has a bad dream and tries to climb in bed. I promise to stay with her, and she settles to sleep pretty quick.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That's the way to go. I'd probably start sooner rather than later but if you absolutely feel waiting until your Mom leaves, so be it. Good luck. Stick to your guns and it'll pay off in the long run!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• just take her back to her bed as many times as it takes. don't talk or anything (the first time you could say time to sleep in your bed) and just ignore the crying. it should take less than a week to fully train her
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009