How do I get organized in a empty nest?

Last gone to college, she calls me often, often sick or depressed or just frustrated. I can't be there. want to keep busy and get organized..need a boost myself.

memorywriter

Asked by memorywriter at 7:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• what kinda organization you lookin for..pm me..ill try and help
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Volunteer at the hospital for a few hours per week to get OUT of the house. Then, take it one room at a time. Tell the college daughter to work hard and have a good time. Don't empower he to cling. It is not easy. My son went to boot camp when he was 19. I had to just walk away and not speak to him for 8 weeks. I think that was easier. I was working, so I was occupied. If I had not been, I would have found some volunteer work to give me some focus until I adjusted to it being me and my husband again.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Is this question about organizational skills or about two depressed people not being willing to go for help? Why can't you be there for your daughter and why is she so depressed. She should be having fun and if she isn't she needs to stop and rethink her college/career choices. And what about you? Did you not have a life while she was in high school? What are you running from? What are you hiding from? What is it that you don't want to deal with, but can't seem to find a new substitute to distract you?
    Anonymous

• What do you like to do? Cook?... work on a binder of recipes from past handed down and put new ones in it. You can give these to grandkids or gifts, etc...
    learn how to garden..... Start collecting things....... Sewing.... quilting...... have a girls night out with a friend or 2. Exercise...... Book clubs ...... small trips to visit your daughter...... a part time job...... dog sitting....... the list is endless. I have 1 out of college, 1 in college and 3 in grade school and 1 still in daycare.... I know exactly what I would do!!!!! There are a ton of things to do.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Organize? I didn't organize when my youngest left the nest. I did the happy dance naked and never looked back. All three are doing well and I got my life back so am "finding myself" after all these years. Just relax and enjoy. There is so much out there to do so get out and do it!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2009