what is your interpretation of this being said directly to you...

"OH my! Your son has ALOT of energy" ?
Do you see that as a good thing, or someone telling you, your kid needs to be reigned in he's getting on other's nerves?
Just curious, I observed an acquaintance telling a friend of mine last night this very thing as her son bounced off the walls and drove us all nuts. She actually thought it was a compliment.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends on the tone of voice in which it was said.

Ive heard it said where I knew they meant he was "out of control".

However, Ive also heard it where they just meant he was energetic and not as a bad thing, just a typical child thing.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• that your kid is a wild indian and you need to put him on a leash...i would'nt take it as a compliment
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• To some people it might be a compliment. Some people admire a child with a lot of energy and wish they could borrow some, haha. But it could also be a sugar-coated way of saying he has too much energy.
    shestolemyjello

Answer by shestolemyjello at 8:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i wouldnt be offended at all.i take it as its said. usaly when people(older) dont have any kids in the house and there used to a queit atmisphere, a child jumping around makes them nervous
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• sounds like a way of saying get your kid under control. I say my Julian 15 months has alot of energy to excuse his screaming my name 500 times at volume 100
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• it depends on the situation

but it would really just be stating the obvious for my kids.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Depends on how it is said and what the kid is (has been) doing just before the comment.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:12 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It was a back handed way of saying the kid is hyper and making everyone nuts. Kids are who they are. Some will always be a bit more reved up than others. I think it just states the obvious and makes the mother feel bad. I say, if you don't have anything nice to say about a persons child, don't say anything.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Ya I'd take it more as a wow you've got your hands full, ha?I don't know how it's a bad thing, unless the other women is really uptight'. I ignor people who havn't got a clue but like to act like they got it going on', lol.
    Anonymous