What can I put in a military care package?

My son is in bootcamp and says whatever I send, I have to send enough for the whole platoon or it will be thrown away. About 60 soldiers in the platoon, so what can I send that won't break the bank? I've already got 150 cookies ready to go. I've had suggestions of large bags of individually wrapped candy, and home popped popcorn! Anything else? Help!!!!

MikesMom1991

Asked by MikesMom1991 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thats so nice of you Congrats on sending the package KUDOS :-)) I would also add some pens maybe or envelopes sounds dumb but I'm sure they need lil things like this Have a great day

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• PP is right. Treats, pens, envelopes, and paper is the best thing to send to boot camp.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:04 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Last time I sent one was a long time ago, but we did homemade carmel corn... It was my uncles favorite. :)
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My brother sent me this website( http://militarymomathome.blogspot.com/2009/01/care-package-ideas.html ) and said majority of the things on that list would be helpful for their troop of 45.

Majority of the guys in his unit were from the South and were hankering for some red beans and rice, dirty rice, jambalaya, and gumbo; so we sent Zatarains and Tony Chachere's box dishes for them to make, 5 lbs of beans and 10 lbs of rice. And of course we couldn't leave out the hot sauce and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning.

I went to the dollar store and bought boxes and boxes of Christmas cards and sent them so they could send their families cards for the holidays.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Let's see I'd think they would like extra socks, tooth brush+tooth paste, some paper and pens+ stamps and envelopes.Mabee shaving cream, a belt, some black shoe shine stuff/ with a buffing brush.Maybe some t-shirts(if you know a size).Maybe an insperational (small) book to help cheer um; up when down, and a book of jokes, some magazine puzzles(verriety) word finds ya know. Some hard candy and gum. Hopefully you can find things sold in bulk', good luck, so thoughtful you are! God bless.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thank you to all of you who have taken time to reply to my question. So, I've got the cookies, 80 sticks of beef jerky, 7 bags of Halloween candy (at half price or less, yay!), 3 tins of different flavored candy corn, and 6 10 packs of ink pens. I also went down to an elementary school close to me and asked the principal if she could maybe have students make "turkey hands" (remember doing that in grade school? The thumb is the head and the fingers are the feathers ;) ), and have the students write a short message to the soldiers on the back for Thanksgiving. She said sure!!! and asked when I needed them. In short, I'll be picking up 290 "turkey hands on Nov. 17th for our boys at Fort Benning!! I couldn't believe how ready she was to help me. Awesome!! Maybe some of you could do something similar in your own communities?!
    MikesMom1991

Answer by MikesMom1991 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2009