How do you think this factors in?

The shooter was an Army Psychiatrist. They say he suffered from secondary trauma from treating PTSD patients, even though he was never deployed to Iraq or Afganistan himself.

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 9:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's probably the primary reason for what happened. But that's not nearly as fun as Muslim bashing, so expect someone to say you're wrong or sympathizing with a murderer soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I heard there is no such thing as "secondary PTSD". I think it is a bunch of bunk. He didn't want to be deployed. He was mad that the lawyers couldn't get him out of it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'm not sympathizing with this coward no matter what his motives are! I'm simply trying to make the most sense I can out of this tragedy. If he happens to be Muslim then he's Muslim, if he happened to be Agnostic, Baptist, Pagan, or which ever of the thousands of religions there are in this world , then that's the way it would've been. Religion could've played a role, but until he decides to tell us why I think jumping to the 'he's Muslim so that's why' conclusion is a little premature and bigoted.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I've read that they don't know yet whether or not he applied for the Conciensous Objector (spelling?) status, but that he had never been deployed before.

And as far as secondary PTSD goes: secondary trauma is not the same thing and I know the VA is keeping close eyes on alot of wives, and other primary caretakers to those diagnosed with mild-severe cases of PTSD to see if they develop secondary trauma or not.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Personally, I think he joined the military to get his medical degree and had no intentions of actually serving his country in combat. You don't get to choose how you serve and he should have known better. It's a sign of our entitlement culture, he feels like he deserves the benefits, but he doesn't want to have to serve the country in the way he is asked, so he takes drastic measures so that he doesn't have to do what he doesn't want to do. There are consequences to every one of our actions, good or bad. He sounds like a spoiled brat that just doesn't like not getting his way.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• ^^Medical Degrees are not awarded by the Military, you have to have your Doctorate before singing the contract as an Officer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• He was paid to go to school.
    The rest of my opinion stands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That's right 9:44 he had to be a doctor before he went to OCS. I can't find anything saying whether or not he was in ROTC while in college.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Sorry Anon 9:46 there are stipulations to having the Army or any military branch pay for your schooling, and as I said, since there's nothing to be found stating whether or not he was in ROTC while he was in college we don't know if what you're saying is right or not.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Regardless he wasn't willing to perform the duties he signed up for. Why not? He gets benefits and is employed by the military. You don't get to pick and choose what duties you will perform for them. When you are given orders, you are expected to take those orders. You don't get to say "oh, well, I don't really believe in this war and I don't want to do what you are asking of me. Yes, I know you have given a lot to me, but I don't really feel like giving back in the form of going to war. You know, what I am trained to do."

I have mad respect for those that serve selflessly in the military for the freedoms that we enjoy everyday in our country. The fact that he was willing to take from the system but not give back is the straw for me. If you don't want the possibility of going to war, don't join the military. It's that simple.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2009