US Policy - China vs Cuba - Serious Question!

So if China has this horrible Human Rights track record and is a Communist country...why is it we are so in debt with them they own like half the country and we import more of their junk than anyone elses; yet we've had an embargo against trade & travel to Cuba for what 60 some odd years??

I don't get it; can anyone explain in English; without partisian BS??

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This just reflects the usual hypocrisy and the fact that the almighty dollar rules every policy
    .
    Cuba is a small country and needs to be "taught a lesson" for not bowing to the US' wishes.
    China is such a huge economic powerhouse, plus it owns a large stock in this country.
    The US only cares about human rights if they are targeting that country's government for change.
    If not, they turn a blind eye.
    And what about our own involvement in torture? We can not pretend to have the moral high ground here. Cuba isn't invading and pillaging, we are.

The boycott against Cuba should be lifted since it obviously hasn't worked.
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 9:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Well said, diospira ! The Clinton administration (and some before that?) DID ignore China's criminal treatment of its people, of Taiwan and of Tibet for the sake of China's $$$. It is infuriating to see American values tossed out.

I must take exception to this part: "And what about our own involvement in torture? We can not pretend to have the moral high ground here. Cuba isn't invading and pillaging, we are."

In the days immediately after 9/11, we "tortured" 2 different men for a total of about 5 minutes - actually it was enhanced interrogation and neither man was injured. You fling around the word torture like you have the moral high ground. Would you like to talk about our soldiers who DIED from torture ... or who spend years having surgeries attempting to repair the maiming and unending pain from real torture at the hands of Taliban?

And my son is in the Marines. They. Are. Not. Pillaging.
    Our guys are not looting.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• pillaging - Plundering, looting, destroying property by violence.,

. Hi Waldorfmom, I have noticed that we see alike on certain issues, and appreciate your respectful and non-confrontational tone, so often lacking on CM.

I have nothing but respect for the armed forces, but believe they shoul be safely at home, instead of invading other countries on false pretenses.

And if you take a look at the definition of pillage, I think you will see how I might think it could apply very well, for example, to our actions in Fallujah and elsewhere.

The cases of extraordinary rendition where the subjects allege they were tortured are numerous. And did you miss Abu Ghraib?
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 11:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I think that our troops should be safely at home, instead of having to worry about their treatment by the hands of those whose countries we have invaded.

The American empire is still swinging, while our own economy is in shambles. We need to reexamine our priorities as a nation and bring them home.

PS I am also a Waldorf mom.:-)
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• diospira said it very well. "almighty dollar rules every policy"
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2009