A question about re-applying for food stamps.

My husband and I got food stamps back in March, if I'm not mistaken...we needed to re-enroll last month and this time we were denyed. We called the caseworker (we just got this info yesterday) and left a message because she didn't answer. We're thinking we didn't get approved this time because of our student grants. We each got a pell grant, and after paying for our tuition, we used the rest for bills that were months and months late. We're thinking we didn't qualify because of that. The question is, we can appeal it and go to court...for those of you that did that, how did it turn out? Do they listen to your situation?
We NEED food stamps. I need health insurance, and if I didn't need health insurance we could afford food. We pay over $300 a month for it. I have health problems from not having insurance for so long..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'd reapply, you could get a different caseworker and ask questions, this other person might be more helpful.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• can you get a job? if not try filing for diabality or get off you lazy ass and work so you can have groceries
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yeah, I wish she'd just answer the phone. I left a message, but still no response and I left it for her early yesterday morning after we got the letter saying we weren't approved. My DH is the only one working (I cannot because of health issues) and after insurance and taxes are taken out, his checks amount to maybe $875 dollars. After rent, utilities, gas, car insurance, etc. we have nothing left. It took me a while to swallow my pride and let DH get them because I didn't want to take them away from people worse off than us...but it got to the point where DH and I weren't eating so we could give our two children food. So, we got them...and now I'm just depressed that we'll be back in the same boat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No, I cannot get a job. I have not filed for disability yet, it is a very long process and most of the time a costly process, that obviously we cannot afford.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

Filing for disability is not costly. My father gets it and he didn't pay anything. Where did you get this info from?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Filing for disability is free. Fighting after you have been denied is where the cost comes in (lawyers).
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I just assumed you'd have to pay lawyers and I already have about $10,000 in medical bills that we're drowning in as well. My friend (that I met at college) filled for disability and it took him over 7 years to get approved. I didn't ask how much it cost, though. I just have so many things going on that I wouldn't have time, but I've been researching it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Just a bump to see if any others had refiled with food stamps, was denied and went to court...and what the outcome was.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• you can reapply @ any time. and having a different case worker DOES make a difference.

my sis is married to a school teacher, has 5 kids, 2 of which are old enough to attend school. she never intended on being a SAHM, but it costs more for childcare than she can make in a month!!! they were denied FS because dh made $51 over the yearly limit! they too have 10's of 1,000 of medical debt (as do i).
    they reapplied and got a new worker who looked at the broader picture, and approved them, and also approved them for medicaid (which they had not intended to apply for!). it all depends on how the worker looks at the situation, some will look at back bills, etc. some not. try again. you always have that option!

good luck, i know how hard it is! truly, i do... so, hang in there, keep your chin up, and press forward. also try the local churches, community centers, and Angel Food Ministries.... *hugs*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thank you Obby... do you know how we get a new caseworker? I figured that she was the only one that worked with food stamps? I'm not sure how PA works because we've never used it before about March because my health got too bad and we needed insurance through DH's job so we got that, but that takes out SO much of his check, and with him being the only one working... yeah.
    Again, thank you for answer my question and being informative. I truly appreciate it.
    Anonymous