10 year old has insomnia

I don't know what to do. It has gotten to the point where I've had to give her sleeping pills (otc) to help her get rest. Anyone else dealt with this or have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate your help, thanks.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take her to her doc. The can help you figure out any issues with patterns of activities during her day and things that may be bothering her really intently(that she won't share with you) that may be keeping her up. They can also assess her eating habits which can have a HUGE effect on sleep.
    Good Luck!!!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Talk to the doctor. We give my son (14) melatonin at night. It works wonders. He is finally able to get a good night's sleep which has helped him drastically in school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:28 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thank you ladies. Momtoboyzndad, she does have things that bother her or stress that she deals with a lot, and she talks to me about most of it (I think all but u could be right?)
    I just don't understand, it really is insomnia. She just seems way too young.
    I feel so bad for her, and I think both of you guys are right and I will take her in.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son had terrible insomnia changes in his bedtime routine were not helping so his pediatrician said to give him melatonin not otc sleep aids because the melatonin is the bodys natural chemical that triggers sleep and some people just don't make enough of it. It worked wonders for him.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Try chamomile tea, if that doesn't work melatonin. both are natural and have no side effects. much safer then otc drugs.
    dherrington

Answer by dherrington at 11:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2009